Idea

Paul Pacheco avatar image
Paul Pacheco suggested

item custom data in Economy V2

Please add custom data to the item stacks in Economy V2. This feature was available in V1, but sadly it is missing in V2.

Some use cases:

Purchase a shirt for a character and allow users to customize the color.

Purchase a sword and allow users to enchant it to boost stats.

Purchase a weapon, track it's use and destroy it when done (like breath of the wild)

In-Game Economy
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

3 Comments

·
ido-2 avatar image
ido-2 commented

It's baffling that Economy v2 inventory items cannot contain custom data. It's unusable at its current state for this purpose.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Paul Pacheco avatar image Paul Pacheco commented ·

Yeah, I started porting over my game to V2, and when I found this limitation, I decided to postpone the migration until that feature is ready and work on something else.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wes Jefferson Ong avatar image
Wes Jefferson Ong commented

Custom inventory item properties have been added as the`DisplayProperties` property on items! More information can be found in the docs: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/economy-v2/inventory/?tabs=inventory-game-manager#display-properties

4 comments
10 |1200

sam-4 avatar image sam-4 commented ·

Hi Wes, what's the reasoning behind the name "DisplayProperties"? This makes it seem like it's only intended for surface-level UI elements and such and shouldn't be used for mechanical gameplay data.

Could you please explain this?

0 Likes 0 ·
sam-4 avatar image sam-4 sam-4 commented ·

Sorry, I had assumed you worked for PlayFab but that might not be the case.

0 Likes 0 ·
kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image kylemc@microsoft.com sam-4 commented ·

The name matches the CatalogItem property of the same name, type, and purpose. It wasn't my favorite, but consistency won out in this case. :)

1 Like 1 ·
drallcom3 avatar image drallcom3 commented ·

Not true. DisplayProperties is only for stacks. Items still don't support item instances (and it doesn't look like they ever will).

DisplayProperties also can't be separate for bundles. All items in the bundle will end up with the same DisplayProperties.

0 Likes 0 ·
alex@octo-play.com avatar image
alex@octo-play.com commented

From what it seems DisplayProperties aren't substitute for CustomData because it can't be set per item instance, correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case - are there plans to implement CustomData in V2?

1 comment
10 |1200

kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image kylemc@microsoft.com commented ·

All items in Economy V2 are countable and support stacking. If you want to support a custom item "instance", you can create a new stack with a unique StackId, set the Amount to 1, and set the DisplayProperties to whatever you'd like.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.