Idea

tim@ninjatertle.com avatar image
tim@ninjatertle.com suggested

Changing CharacterName

Any chance of getting the ability to change the CharacterName field of a character? It's a non-unique field so I don't think there should be too many issues.

I want to use it as a character display name (since I need non-unique player names therefore DisplayName is not viable) and I'd use a CharacterReadOnlyData field to store character names except that I couldn't get it when I pulled a leaderboard.

I need to be able to change it when inappropriate names are supplied by user.

Alternatively I could use display name by secretly prefixing it to make it unique (something like playfabId + "_" + displayname) if I had the ability to disallow users changing their display name. (i.e disable client.UpdateUserTitleDisplayName)

I feel like allowing clients to change their display name in a hacked client is really bad as I can't enforce name policies if users can just change their DisplayName freely. It also allows users to get around naming policies, therefore I think being able to disable UpdateUserTitleDisplayName in an authoritative game is a good idea anyway.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

10 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Thanks, Tim - we'll be providing the ability to selectively turn off more of the Client API calls in a future update. It's something we've heard from a number of folks, and it does make sense, you're right.

For the CharacterName, we'll enter a backlog item and track on others voting this up.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Luke Stafford avatar image
Luke Stafford commented

I've spent the last few hours trying to understand how to set a characters name, or to assign any string for that matter, I don't see anyway to do this. +1 for being able to update/change CharacterName on each users assigned characters.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or using this incorrectly because UpdateCharacterDataRequest doesn't seem to work at all. There are no fields in the GameManager to show this data anyway, any pointers?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Correct - that's what I was saying above, that there's no CharacterName set/update API call, so I've entered a backlog item for it.

In terms of the Character Data, you can request/set/update it via the associated API calls (like https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Server/method/UpdateCharacterData), but no, it's not in the Game Manager just yet. We're adding components to the web interface as fast as we can, but it does tend to lag a bit behind the Web API features.

10 |1200

Luke Stafford commented

Thanks Brendan, I have been using the UpdateCharacterData API calls, and as I say either I am using them wrong (not getting a failure here) but I can not seem to store/retrieve any data. Now that I understand it shouldn't be showing up in the web interface I will go back through the code and see if we're missing something.

I just want to say that I love what you guys have done with the new WepAPI and see that stuff is getting pumped out at an increasingly rapid rate, keep it up :D

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Thanks! We'll keep on adding to the Game Manager, but do let us know if you see anything that needs improvement. If you have a repro case for the issue with Character data, let me know and I'll try reproducing it on my side.

10 |1200

Luke Stafford commented

Having some 'Display Name' for characters, would be helpful, although I have now managed to set around 64 values in the custom data, including the characters name and other details . I think it would also be helpful to have the same settings as users here, Title Data, Read Only Data etc, as well as being able to dynamically change the Character Name. Some of these things could be server calls only of course, for security and reasons.

Anyway, onwards and upwards :)

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Luke, could you elaborate on the data part of the request? Title Data is global to all users, rather than being at the user or character level, and we do have Character Read Only Data: https://api.playfab.com/Documentation/Client/method/GetCharacterReadOnlyData. I'd like to make sure we're accurately tracking this request.

10 |1200

Luke Stafford commented

Brendan,  as I understood, we're talking about web functionality here, i.e what shows in the manager. I don't see anywhere in character that displays any of these things, as I suggested: like for users we have a section with variables, broken into title, read only etc. Simply I was asking if the same approach could be used on the character pages.  Hope that's clearer :)

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Thanks, yes - that's clear. The original request on this thread was for the ability to change the Character Name and/or have a Character Display Name of some sort. When we add new functionality, we always add it as an API call first, mainly because the majority of our developers use those API calls in their build process. Our site will always lag behind our available features for that reason. The web team does have it on their list to add to the Game Manager the functionality which is supported by calls like the Character Read Only Data calls, so those will be added.

10 |1200

Cruiser dev team avatar image
Cruiser dev team commented

Hey, I assume this was not implemented yet?

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas