Idea

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) suggested

New server status called "Error" if your custom game server crashes with an error

For a custom game server, it would be nice to know if the server executable is actually running without errors. I'm imagining this status could be displayed in the Game Manager --> Servers in the Status column.

Even more helpful would be if the error message would be displayed. But even just displaying the presence of an error would be very helpful.

Custom Game Serversgame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Comment

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

If you're seeing a server in the Active Games tab, then the executable is running. The way the service works, we have a "Game Wrangler" process which is what launches the executable and monitors to see when it is done, so that it can do all the cleanup (copying out logs/output files, shutting down the instnace). The log file is then the way you would get info on what the server did (and again, we are aware that you are having an issue writing log files - we'll follow up in the other thread on this as soon as we can).

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

That makes sense, but I am still confused.

In this thread (

https://community.playfab.com/questions/5411/how-to-check-if-the-server-exe-is-in-fact-running.html) you pointed out that:

I also had a look inside the log file, and your server is failing to 
start as it's trying to load a "settings.cnf" from the wrong directory -
 the settings file is in the same sub-folder with the executable on the 
server, and it's trying to read it from one directory up.

However, when I was at that stage of development, I saw the server Running, yet according to your comment, it was failing to start because of an error.

Either the server was in fact starting (even with the wrongly placed settings.cnf file), or the game manager dashboard was falsely acting as if the server were running?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Sorry, to be clear - when I said it was failing to start, I meant that it wasn't getting to a state where it was able to accept new players. If the executable were to quit upon failing to load the cnf file, it would have disappeared from the Active Games tab. The executable itself had started - hence, the error message about trying to read the cnf from the wrong folder.

1 Like 1 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) brendan commented ·

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. =)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.