Idea

reyhan.sadak avatar image
reyhan.sadak suggested

Asynchronous matchmaking

Hello,

I hope that my post is not a duplicate, but if it is, please redirect me there.
So, I am working on a game with asynchronous matchmaking like in Boom Beach. The player has a map and sees "random" opponents on it. These opponents are with similar level, similar power, etc.
The way I imagine how this work is:
- the player(or an impersonating game server) updates his key-value profile with data for the matchmaking(level, power, etc)
- the developer creates a rule for matchmaking like my_level between opponent_level - x, opponent_level + y
- all users are indexed based on this matchmaking rule
- another player(or an impersonating game server) calls an API which returns matches based on the matchmaking rule.
Is such a thing doable with PlayFab API?

Thanks,
Rey

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

5 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

We are planning on adding an asynchronous matchmaker in a future update, and I've added you to the work item, so that we keep track of who is asking for this. In the near-term, there is a thread on a way to implement async games in PlayFab now, over here:

https://community.playfab.com/questions/515/207129407-Persistent-turn-based-games-.html

The one thing this would not provide from your question is the level +/- N criteria for search. It's possible you could create buckets of levels as your "open game" shared groups, so that if I'm level 1, I'm searching in the 1-5 group, while if I'm level 5, I might be searching in both the 1-5 and 5-10 groups, but the key there will be making sure to keep the total number of requests down as much as possible - short bursts of calls are fine, but when the total number of Keys being requested in a short period starts to get high (100 or more), there may be delays in responsiveness.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

reyhan.sadak commented

Hello, the game is still in prototyping and I'm evaluating the possible providers for online services.
Could you give some approximate ETA when you think that you could have this feature?
We would need it latest by the end of April.

Thanks,
Rey

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Right now, we do not have a specific date that we're targeting, so at the moment I would have to tentatively place this in Q1. As you get further in your development cycle, I would encourage you to provide more specifics to us on your upcoming key dates at devrel@playfab.com, so that we can advise you on this feature's availability.

10 |1200

reyhan.sadak commented

Hello,

I could not find a documentation about offline matchmaking. Could you tell me if this feature was added, it's still under discussion, or it was abandoned?

Thanks,
Rey

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

We use the Feature Requests area as a way to get feedback from developers on what items they would like to see added to our platform. The best way you can do this is by up-voting the feature (the first post in this thread, above). We prioritize in part based upon the total number of people asking for each feature, so the more unique developers are asking for any given feature, the more likely it is to get into our schedule.

This feature, asyncrhonous matchmaking is still on our backlog, and is still something we'd like to budget time for. Currently, there are a number of other features which are ahead of it in our queue, going by developer feedback.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas