Idea

brendan avatar image
brendan suggested

Cloud scripting in C#

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

8 Comments

·
andy-3 avatar image
andy-3 commented

What will the private preview of C# Cloud Script entail? It's listed in the roadmap without any indication of who will be included in the private preview and whether or not teams can use the private preview in production games. @Brendan

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Private previews are supported by the feature teams directly, and are intended to get feedback on the feature so that they can validate that they've targeted the use cases correctly. During private preview, things can change - that's the only time breaking changes are allowed in our service (since - and specific to your other question - we do not support use in live titles until public preview).

Since they don't have the tiered support team managing incoming questions (and only escalating as needed), we have to limit the number of developers in the preview, and how quickly we add teams (onboarding to the feature always takes some handholdoing during preview, since we don't have all the docs finished yet).

So private preview is only available to Pro and Enterprise tier titles (sometimes Indie, as well - it's up to the feature team), and what we do is add them to a queue (spreadsheet) as they request access.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-3 avatar image andy-3 brendan commented ·

I'd like to request access.

0 Likes 0 ·
Zhi Kang Shao avatar image
Zhi Kang Shao commented

Looking forward to this feature!

10 |1200

amazdeh-1 avatar image
amazdeh-1 commented

I don't know if input needed here or not but if you guys add C# scripting alongside the PubSub feature then many things which we have to use distributed server apps for can be done in cloud script.

I've used playfab on multiple titles before (am on company account so my account is new)
Things i used custom servers for before
- guilds and any system needing bidirectional interactions
- trading/friend lists (bidirectional ones)
- match maker (largely resolved by new match maker, we are not making a custom match maker for our current title thanks to the awesome features of the new MM)
- complex server logic for metagame parts like chests, level ups and other time based mechanics. Currently there is no way in playfab to schedule a computation to happen x minutes in the future. I understand making this in a generic and scalable manner is not that easy. A queu which contains all requests of the next hour and is loaded to memory to serve all requests ...

But having a PubSub system and C# scripting can resolve many if not all of the use-cases because 1 it is a proper language for the job and 2 works without clients pulling for new info. I have a hard time finding titles which don't need this in one way or another

10 |1200

pixelsage avatar image
pixelsage commented

Looking forward to this one (:

10 |1200

kamyker avatar image
kamyker commented
10 |1200

Andy avatar image
Andy commented
10 |1200

CJ Williams avatar image
CJ Williams commented

We just released a new public preview Cloudscript using Azure Functions as well as the PlayFab Visual Studio Code Extension. These support C# for CloudScript.

1 comment
10 |1200

matt-6 avatar image matt-6 commented ·

Are there any limitations to the public preview? Our game is live in soft launch and I’d very much like to move to this new system, but don’t want to run into additional limitations.

-1 Like -1 ·
kamyker avatar image
kamyker commented

Fun fact: it also works with other providers not only Azure

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas