Idea

brendan avatar image
brendan suggested

Advanced PushNotifications

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

3 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

johntube
started a topic on Thu, 12 March 2015 at 4:17 PM

As it was asked by @dragongamestudio here the SendPushNotification should be updated to support sending custom JSON data. Accordingly, the platform specific plugins, at least the Android one should be updated to parse ALL the received data and display ONLY what should be displayed to the user (e.g. Android : icon + title + text).

It would be nice also if the Android plugin could support custom notification actions.

It is good practice to post feature requests here to help PlayFab guys know the community's priorities.

2 Comments
johntube said on Fri, 05 June 2015 at 2:03 PM

Hi,

I want to invite/urge other PlayFab users to vote for this feature request and to check its current status (planned or not) and if so is there any progress made in implementation ?

The features related to GCM that I would like PlayFab to support are (ordered by priorities according to me) :

A better way of handle GCM registration [link]

Support BOTH Notification and Downstream (Server to Client) Data Messages [link]
Support for Collapsible and non-collapsible Notification Messages [link]
Support for Device Group Messaging (Multiple Devices per User) [link][android]
More control over UI (e.g. Android : small and big icon) and Action [link]
I hope I'm not alone in dreaming about such service...

johntube said on Fri, 05 June 2015 at 3:04 PM

It's me again, I just wanted to show you that such features are listed in Making the Most of Google Cloud Messaging

"Embed Data Directly in the GCM Message

Often, GCM messages are meant to be a tickle, or indication to the device that there's fresh data waiting on a server somewhere. However, a GCM message can be up to 4kb in size, so sometimes it makes sense to simply send the data within the GCM message itself, so that the device doesn't need to contact the server at all. Consider this approach for situations where all of the following statements are true:

• The total data fits inside the 4kb limit.

• Each message is important, and should be preserved.

• It doesn't make sense to collapse multiple GCM messages into a single "new data on the server" tickle.

For instance, short messages or encoded player moves in a turn-based network game are examples of good use-cases for data to embed directly into a GCM message.

Also consider this approach when sending multicast messages, so you don't tell every device across your user base to hit your server for updates simultaneously.

When used appropriately, directly embedding data in the GCM message can speed up the perceived speediness of your application, by letting it skip a round trip to the server."

2 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Tue, 06 Oct at 11:25 PM

Hi all,

Advanced Push Notifications are now enabled for Android. The parameters of the Push need to be encoded as JSON data in the Push message, though for Unity, this is now part of the plugin, as shown in the documentation:

https://github.com/PlayFab/UnitySDK/tree/master/UnityAndroidPluginSource#5-advanced-customdata-via-push-notifications.

Advanced Push will be available for iOS in an upcoming release.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jonas Johnsson avatar image
Jonas Johnsson commented

good news, thank you Brendan :)

10 |1200

bda2206@gmail.com avatar image
bda2206@gmail.com commented

The current push function does not support all the native IOS functionality. Since IOS 9, push messages are not delivered to the application if it is in forground, unless you pass the content-available:1 key.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/RemoteNotificationsPG/PayloadKeyReference.html

I would like to see an additional optional data field NativeKeys that you can provide native key/values to, such they are added to the delivered data alongside the keys that are specifically listed in Playfab.

ie passing a value {content-available : 1} would result in the following being delivered to the device.

{ aps : { Badge: 1, content-available : 1, Message : "message", Title: "title" }}

This would be future proofing the playfab platform against any changes in push functionality across the various platforms

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas