Idea

Jay Mattis avatar image
Jay Mattis suggested

Pass QueueName from Matchmaking into GSDK

The MatchId is passed from Matchmaking into the GSDK using the "sessionId" configuration variable but in order to retrieve the ticket details using GetMatch, you also need the QueueName. If using the same build for multiple queues (casual/ranked, 1v1/2v2), this becomes a problem.

Since you already have a "sessionCookie" configuration variable that is unused during matchmaking, this would be a great way to pass in the QueueName so that the server can use GetMatch to successfully retrieve the ticket information. This is vital for making sure players are placed on the team as assigned by the matchmaker.

Matchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Bijian Wu avatar image Bijian Wu commented ·

Yes, please, now is 23_11_2020, I still don't see this feature got added!

0 Likes 0 ·

10 Comments

·
Sultan Sultanov avatar image
Sultan Sultanov commented

+1 (26.11.2020) Dear developers, please add this

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cooltom2013 avatar image
cooltom2013 commented

Why not pass the players that have been matched aswell?

10 |1200

tobias-mueller avatar image
tobias-mueller commented

+1, this would be really helpful!

10 |1200

Greg Tinney avatar image
Greg Tinney commented

Yes, this is the oddest omission we've experience so far since working with Playfab. The fact that the "Key" for a GameServer to retrieve match data contains two parts, but that Playfab MatchMaker only choses to pass 1/2 of that Key to the GameServer is, well, inexplicable. Surely, a queue's MatchMaker knows it's own QueueName.

Requiring a separate Server build for each queue is a poor workaround for such a technical omission. It places a steep deploy burden on the Studios for what is generally the most basic of MatchMaking function - telling a GameServer about the match it is to serve.

As our game continues to evolve, we keep hitting this particular roadblock, forcing us to consider other MatchMaker vendors just to keep our deploy process manageable. Is this feature currently under consideration?

10 |1200

Romain Maurel avatar image
Romain Maurel commented

Is this still not yet implemented ? That would simplify things so much. If I have 1v1 / 2v2 3FFA in unranked / ranked + a training lobby with team, it means 7 Builds to manage, just because Servers cannot know which Queue popped it.

Please, update.

10 |1200

David Rochin avatar image
David Rochin commented

Anyone knows any workarounds for this?

10 |1200

Romain Maurel avatar image
Romain Maurel commented

This should be adressed from a while by now...

10 |1200

drzepa avatar image
drzepa commented

Quite frankly, this omission is unbelievable, and the workaround is even more unbelievable. Why should I have to create a unique build per queue? Is it so that you can make more money due to us having to have multiple builds on standby?!

I think I have found a workaround that doesn't require multiple builds. In my tool for uploading the build I call ListMatchmakingQueues and store the names of each queue in a comma delimited string in the build metadata.Then, on the server, I call GetMatch for each of the queue names until I find the MatchId I want...

This issue completely epitomizes my experience with PlayFab. It has so many features, but they each only get you 90% of the way to what you need to do, then you need to get creative and implement some disgusting hack to make it actually work.

10 |1200

Ayrton Olvera avatar image
Ayrton Olvera commented

We need this please! +1

10 |1200

dev@megapower.games avatar image
dev@megapower.games commented

Any update? +1

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.