Idea

david@pixelbeam.org avatar image
david@pixelbeam.org suggested

Adding team/guild/clan feature + notifications

I found out today about PlayFab and I'm pleased to say that we are going to use it for our competitive multiplayer FPS. Nice work!

As for the suggestion; It would be great if we had the ability to manage a group of players preferably with different roles.

For example a captain could add or remove players from a team, a leader could do the same but also adding or removing captains and of course would have the ability to pass the leader role to another player. All of them would have the ability to leave the group except for the leader who has to pass his captain role to another player before he could leave the group.

A GetGroupList would provide the list of players and their roles

a GetGroup info would provide key pairs information

SetGroupKeyPair would allow you to change custom key pairs of a group.

etc.

A group feature is central to our game so I would like to know if it is something doable within say 4 months or if we should develop it ourselves?

Lastly, it is nice to have friends and hopefully groups, but I think that being able to leave them a message would be extremely powerfull.

I've seen a notification system on the roadmap. It is something we where going to implement ourselves for all kinds of notifications and real time announcements (we planned to use xmpp).

1. Would it be reasonable to think this notification system could also be used for player to player online and offline messaging?

2. Would we be able to know the online status of a player?

3. Any ETA on it?

Thank you and have a great day :)

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

5 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

There has been one other discussion on Guilds in PlayFab, over here: https://community.playfab.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/207524857-Guilds. In it, we talked about one way in which you can make guilds work in our system right now.

In addition though, we do plan to add a Guild feature in future. We haven't scheduled that as yet, as it hasn't bubbled up in our priority stack-rank yet. We prioritize in part based on feedback from our community, which is why we have the Feature Requests forum (so thanks for your post!). As people vote on the various features requested, that helps to give us a better view on what things are most important to our community.

For notifications, we currently have Push Notifications available, which would allow you to message players at any time (whether or not they're signed into the game), and you could use a Photon Room as a Guild/Clan chat space for any players online.

As far as online status is concerned, because we use a Web API model (as opposed to a socket-based connection), we don't really know that a player hasn't disconnected if we haven't heard from them for a while. We are looking into the possibility of moving to a different session model which would have this concept, but it would have to consider a user as "disconnected" after a period of no messages, which wouldn't be accurate for some titles (where no messages come from the client during gameplay), so we're evaluating possible approaches currently.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

david@pixelbeam.org commented

Thank you for the fast and detailed answer.

Ok I did not see the shared data in the UI and have overlooked it in the API. I see how I can do it now thanks. This said, are there plans to have a UI for the shaded data management?

Also I see 

KeyLengthExceeded  
DataLengthExceeded

Could you tell me what the limits are?

Regarding the push notifications, I believe it doesn't work on desktop and console platforms no?

As for the online status, I understand. I guess you can either add a heartbeat function to your SDK in case no msg has been sent for a while or perhaps have a socket based connection dedicated to this feature. This would also allow all kinds of real time notifications through it in the process. Anyway, considering how nice PlayFab looks, I'm sure you guys will have the right solution ^^

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Hmmm... I can see that our limits page (playfab.com/limits) needs to have some additional detail. I'll open a bug with the doc team on that.

The answer is that for Shared Group Data, the max Key name length is 1KB (actually, this is the max Key length through all systems) while the max Value length is 100KB. And yes, we do plan to make this something you can view/edit in the Game Manager in a future update.

And you're correct - Push Notifications are specific to mobile platforms. An equivalent doesn't exist for PC and console, though you do have the option to email players (always making sure they've opted in, of course), and you can use your Publisher-level data to store info which allows you to message players cross-game, if you have multiple games in the service (so, if they're playing title A, you can have Publisher level data which tells you to inform them about something in title B).

For online status, you're exactly right - heartbeat is indeed one of the things we're considering. Having more session-based connections will also allow us to provide the option for only-one-login (so, if a player signs in on multiple devices, only the most recent is valid), so it's something we're looking into for a future update.

10 |1200

david@pixelbeam.org commented

Alright great thank you.

If you have a heartbeat, I'm wondering if you could use the http answer to notify the user that a notification is awaiting to be pulled.

Say a player sends a friend request, the notification would be stored in the target player's notification list. Later when that player client does his heartbeat he will find out he should pull his notifications list.

Of course there would be a delay according to the heartbeat speed but if you add a bit on all API operations (say in the HTTP heather) you could furthe reduce that delay?

Anyway, thanks again and have a great day!

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan commented

Yes, we're planning on having a more general-purpose messaging system, which may well leverage the heartbeat in that manner.

The issue with overloading the header info to contain this sort of thing is that it would be extra data returned on each call, then - which could be an issue for some users, due to data limits/costs.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas