Idea

Martin L avatar image
Martin L suggested

CloudScript debugger

I have been using CloudScript for almost 2 years now. I developed a way to unit test my code using Node.js as a proxy for the server and I can debug that with Iron Node, which has saved a lot of time. But bugs still slip through and I have to go back to old school trial and error logging, which is laborious. I would like to be able to debug my CloudScript in place on the server.

There are requests for C# CloudScript, since people like to use languages they know, and many people likely develop in Unity, but with no debugger CloudScript development will remain slow even in their preferred language.

CloudScript
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Comment

·
Joshua Strunk avatar image
Joshua Strunk commented

What kind of bugs can you not debug with your currents set up? What is slipping through? I am curious as it sounds like you should be able to debug almost everything with that setup, and I am not sure what Playfab could reasonably implement with more features over your current setup.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Martin L avatar image Martin L commented ·

The kind of bugs that I still see come from a few reasons:

• I mock out the entire Playfab API, so if the data I mock is slightly off I get a false passed test and debugging with real data from the API is the only way to find that my mock data is the culprit, i.e. unit test bug
  • 100% code coverage is too high a bar and Murphy's Law says I have bugs where I don't have coverage
  • Sometimes it's the interactions between units that have the bugs and since units are tested in isolation these are not uncovered
  • Works on my machine syndrome: I want to debug with real data

(I am now writing a set of integration tests to lessen some of these but I can't eliminate them)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.