Idea

brendan avatar image
brendan suggested

Need a query for server time

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

2 Comments

·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

bvanous
started a topic on Sat, 27 September 2014 at 3:40 AM

In order to make sure the client has a valid time, we need an API which retrieves the current time from the server, in UTC.

4 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Thu, 29 January 2015 at 8:25 PM

At this time, the current time is returned as part of the response to any call to a Web API, and via a call to now.GetTime() in Cloud Script (see the Rewards example for more info: https://github.com/PlayFab/CloudScriptSamples/blob/master/Rewards/CloudScript_Rewards.js).

flekoun said on Tue, 17 March 2015 at 10:14 AM

I have already requested this feature few months ago and I know you are working on it and you have also suggested 2 solutions : 1)Altering your SDK or 2) using Cloud script. Neither of these seems viable to me. I don't want to put my unskilled hands into your code and I don't want to pay 3x more $ per DAU just to be able to get server time. This seems hilarious for me. So there is still no Client API call to get time from server? So many advanced features you have but no way how to get server time? It seems to me like this should be a cornerstone for anyone who is doing any F2P game or any other game using server backend. Don't get me wrong your service is AMAZING I love it. However this just don't make sense to me. Maybe I just missed something.

Brendan Vanous said on Tue, 17 March 2015 at 7:29 PM

Thanks! For this specific issue, the problem is that we prioritize based upon the development community's needs and, to be completely honest, no one else has asked for this or voted on this suggestion. It may well be that, since we return the server timestamp with the response, people are simply using that to get the information.

vetcat said on Tue, 25 August 2015 at 1:22 AM

It would be great to have such a request / response, it is really important

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dev Lumo avatar image
Dev Lumo commented

I'd very much like to see this request/response.

I have single player game, but I'd like certain events to happen to all players at the same time. For example once every 4 hours. Obviously I can't trust client time here, but from server time this would be really easy, and secure enough, to do.

I can use workarounds, some of them already suggested here. But thinking how extremely simple this request would be (no parameters, generating response doesn't require any database calls), I wonder why there isn't such request already.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas