Idea

Jean-Denis Boivin avatar image
Jean-Denis Boivin suggested

GetInventoryItems OrderBy

Add "OrderBy" to "GetInventoryItems " like in "SearchItems" for "Catalog".

Would allow to retrieve items sorted in a certain way while using pagination without having to download all of the items.

In-Game EconomyPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Comment

·
kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image
kylemc@microsoft.com commented

It sounds like you're trying to work around something by putting some items first. What is the scenario you're trying to address in your game where ordering would be useful?

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jean-Denis Boivin avatar image Jean-Denis Boivin commented ·

I'm not trying to work around something, I'll try to be more clear.

In a game you present the inventory in such a way that it is always ordered in some fashion, the way this API works you are limited with a maximum number of items that you can get back in one call, so if the total number of items is over that number you need to call the API again and again.

This is where "OrderBy" will be useful because I can do one call, then the user scroll, past a certain point I call the API again to get the rest of the inventory. However if I cannot order it in any meaningful way, I am in practice stuck with ALWAYS doing multiple call to the API until I have ALL the items and then I can order it properly.

I guess I don't see the point of limiting the number of items returned in the API if anyway I have to always call it in sequence until I get them all, adding a lot of extra latency / overhead for no good reason when if only I had the option to order I would at least be able to present the results ASAP.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.