Idea

hoangkakadaylaptrinh avatar image
hoangkakadaylaptrinh suggested

Different CONSUMABLE type for the same item

For now, when I create a new item, I can only set it to whether DURABLE or CONSUMABLE.

For my game, an item has 3 prices:

- price 1 is cheap and allow the character to rent this item for 2 days

- price 2 is less cheap and allow the character to rent this item for 6 days

- price 3 is expensive and allow the character to buy this item permanently

I see that I can add many prices when creating an item, but there is no way for me to say this price is for owning this item DURABLE, that price is to own this item CONSUMABLE in 2 days, etc...

Does this make sense to have such a connection between the price and the CONSUMABLE property for different price, that would be more general ?

In-Game Economy
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

3 Comments

·
hoangkakadaylaptrinh avatar image
hoangkakadaylaptrinh commented

And when you purchase an item to player's inventory or character's inventory, there will come with an information on what price did you pay to own this item, and for how long.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Strunk avatar image
Joshua Strunk commented

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about if this is good idea or not. A consumable version of an item is still a different item and I personally feel should be internally modeled as such. Would be interested in hearing other opinions on this.

1 comment
10 |1200

hoangkakadaylaptrinh avatar image hoangkakadaylaptrinh commented ·

I think it would make the system more generic.

In my case, I have no way to implement this in a shorter way than having 3 different items with different ids and consumable type whereas they are basically mean only 1 item but allow 3 possibility of purchasing.

This lead the complexity of the logic code on the client side where I should have a way to be aware of these 3 items are actually 1 item with different prices base on how long the user can possess the item.

And having the system this way also true for normal case where 1 item can have several prices for the same consumable type as it does for the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image
brendan commented

What I'm having trouble visualizing is how you see the setup for this working. Right now, you would define three items, each with a distinct price. The first two would be consumable, would have a specific expiration period (2 days and 6 days), and if you want to be nice to players, they would have the same usage period group, so that if you buy one, then immediately buy the other, you'd have an expiration time of 8 days out. The third item would have yet another price, and would have no expiration. That would make it easy to then check for the presence of the permanent item, and if it's not there, check for the other items, and their expiration times. How do you envision applying three distinct prices to a single ItemId? What prevents a hacked client from buying the permanent version of the ItemId for the 2 day price, since it's one item? What does the setup process for the item look like?

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.