Idea

Greg Quinn avatar image
Greg Quinn suggested

Dev/Staging/Production environment management

I was shocked to find while migrating from Gamesparks that Playfab doesn't offer any form of built-in environment/version management.

I would like to see the following features added.

An ability to use one TitleID, having both a devevelopment and production environment, which I can easily switch between in a dropdown in the top-right of the portal.

A snapshots page which allows me to create a snapshot of the current development environment configuration and non-player data.

The snapshots page should show all the previous 'configuration snapshots' that have been created, and the ability to publish any of these snapshots to production.

The ability to delete old snapshots no longer used.

When publishing a snapshot to production, it should migrate all non-player data/configuration to production.

For Azure Functions, I'm guessing I'll need to run two Azure Function endpoints, one for dev and one for production. It would be nice if this endpoint URL could be configured for each environment.

datagame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

4 Comments

·
Greg Quinn avatar image
Greg Quinn commented

In addition, I'll need an easy way in the Unity/Unreal/etc SDK to select the environment. So when I press play in the editor I know which environment the client is talking to.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

omerkhalid avatar image
omerkhalid commented

Hi. There is a CLI tool for copying data from one title to another although I haven't used it yet
https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabCLI

It really is a shock that there is no equivalent of GS's snapshot or any other simple way to move between dev and prod environments

2 comments
10 |1200

Greg Quinn avatar image Greg Quinn commented ·

Yes, I read about that, but far from being a useful way to manage environments.

0 Likes 0 ·
patrick-2 avatar image patrick-2 commented ·

The tool is missing quite a few things to be a decent way to manage environments.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rich Skorski avatar image
Rich Skorski commented

We use separate titles for this currently. I'm not sure that breaking a single titleID into dev/prod/staging is great (I expect we will also have other environments that don't fit that paradigm) but I don't think it's a horrible idea either.

At any rate, it would help us to have some help from the PlayFab API or game manager here. We use the API to copy what we can: builds, CloudScript, and Matchmaking Queues. There are some things that the API doesn't provide a way to copy though, like the automation rules (to be fair, that's the only one that comes to mind right now).

Adding features that let us copy more data, or group these things to copy data between titles easier, would be a benefit to us. A feature to facilitate dev/prod/staging within a title is something we would probably wind up using to some degree if it was available, as well.

10 |1200

Thomas Brown avatar image
Thomas Brown commented

Also, just want to chime in here and note that this still feels very much needed.

Brendan noted that there was a snapshot system in development here. Not sure if it ever got developed.

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.