Idea

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) suggested

Matchmaking minimum size of 1 player

Currently, matchmaking requires at least 2 players. It would make a big difference for us if we can have matchmaking with a size of 1 player, so that we can use matchmaking for a lobby server.

More context:

https://community.playfab.com/questions/32118/how-to-set-a-match-size-of-1-for-matchmaking-20.html

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

The Lobby system is now available to all developers, and can be used for this purpose.

0 Likes 0 ·

10 Comments

·
Tamas Szucs avatar image
Tamas Szucs commented

Yes, great idea. With Multiplayer 2.0 and the Matchmaking there are great possibilities, just need some more feature ported from the legacy systems IMO.

A workaround for us was that silently log in and queue another player when the queue is empty.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Christoph Bruger avatar image
Christoph Bruger commented

Yes, devs should be able to set any number they need without artificial restrictions.

10 |1200

Christian Markowicz avatar image
Christian Markowicz commented

Exactly what I need for my game right now as well. Why make a systems this rigid.

10 |1200

Zhi Kang Shao avatar image
Zhi Kang Shao commented

I was integrating Multiplayer 2.0 for a client and then hit this wall. In this case it was a dealbreaker and he decided to use another service for hosting.

Please take into account that:

- Games with progression elements will want all XP/currency granting gameplay to take place on managed servers, even when playing solo

- Many modern multiplayer games provide drop-in drop-out experience: starting a session by yourself, then having other people join in. See: Left 4 Dead.

- Indie games cannot guarantee 24/7 that there are other players to play with, so would want a matchmaking ruleset that says "if after 120 seconds there is no match, let him join a server by himself" after bots will keep him busy until matchmaking backfill adds more players to the server. Or in some cases, again due to progression you'd still want him on a managed server rathar then playing offline.

10 |1200

Paul Bettner avatar image
Paul Bettner commented

I have this exact same need - to let players into my server 1 by 1, without requiring a minimum match size of 2. I understand how I will need to implement this myself using cloudscript, but it sure would be nice if the matchmaker natively supported this already.

10 |1200

arycama avatar image
arycama commented

I'm also needing this feature. The game will have single-player progression elements combined with multiplayer social and competitive features. When there are no servers available, we don't want players to have to wait around until someone else wants to play, as much of the game will be playable without other players.

10 |1200

Jakub Smekal avatar image
Jakub Smekal commented

Also need this, for server-side validation of player actions in a competitive game.

10 |1200

rima avatar image
rima commented

Yeah this would be a Critical Feature in our current architecture. as we have game mode that allow players to start with 1 players and other players later join through server browser. Also it will make the Client Joining to Server Method unified with normal matchmaking.

10 |1200

laggyluk avatar image
laggyluk commented

I agree, it sucks that we need alternate solution to rest of matchmaking or even to test it on single client without hassle.

10 |1200

Brian Jordan avatar image
Brian Jordan commented

This is blocking us transitioning from Legacy matchmaking to 2.0. In game modes where it can take a while for players to find a match, we have a 1 player <> server AI experience they can play until someone shows up.

Is there a recommended workaround for this? Dispatching a fake player to queue up with single players seeking to start a match?

10 |1200

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.