question

mark-2 avatar image
mark-2 asked

Can you pass custom PlayStream events to Webhooks?

I know that you can send a custom PlayStream event via WritePlayerEvent. I also see that Analytics > Webhooks allows you to pass a subset of events that match a given Event name to a webhook. But I don't see any of my custom events listed in the dropdown list. Can you pass custom PlayStream events to Webhooks?

Just thinking outside the box. Could I implement a webhook API (AWS API Gateway) that takes playfab or custom events and processes and use that in my game as a non-UI alternative to rules and actions? What are the pros and cons for that?

Do PlayStream events fire for entering and leaving a segment?

apisPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

For the webhooks, custom events are not currently populating the drop-down for the event name. I'll file a bug to have that updated, as we should be doing so.

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to using events as "a non-UI alternative to rules and actions". Can you explain in more detail what it is you're picturing for this>

For segments, there isn't a specific event, but you can set any actions you want to occur when a player enters of leaves a segment in the segment definition itself.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mark-2 avatar image mark-2 commented ·

What I mean by "non-UI" was non-Game Manager. Game Manager has a UI for creating Rules (Conditions + Actions) based on PlayStream events. If I did want to use Rules in Game Manager could I roll my own equivalent functionality using webhooks? What would be the pros and cons?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mark-2 commented ·

The idea of webhooks is that you can send the events to your own server, and from there do whatever you want with them. So in some ways it is similar to a Rule. The difference is that it's dependent upon the communication to your server (which isn't guaranteed, unless it's in the same availability zone in AWS with our servers), and that your server doesn't have any issues processing the request or the what you want to do with it (granted, if an AWS server crashes - unusual, but possible - a Rule could fail on our side as well, but we have a team monitoring and responding to issues with our service, which is really what you pay for with PlayFab).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.