question

npoursin avatar image
npoursin asked

Security on updating statistics from client & cloud script

Hi,

A Brief Presentation I am a new user of playfab, and I work on a turn-based tactical RPG for a customer.

I understand very well the idea that if it is the server that updates the statistics used by a leaderboards it is by default allowed, while on the client side it is more obscure if the game is cracked.

However why calling a cloud script with an argument is more secure than directly update the stat ?

thank you

Nicolas

CloudScriptLeaderboards and StatisticsCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Because you can write logic into your Cloud Script handler which checks the inputs from the client. You could check against reasonable maximum values, time since the last time the score was updated, whether you have some data set in User Read Only or Internal Data which indicates something specific about the session that was written by another server-authoritative call, or you could simply take inputs from the player and compute the score, rather than directly submit one (and still do cheat checking on that data). You can also then generate events that you can use to help track on potential cheaters, and analyze that data with any analytics provider or collect it via the Event Archive option.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

npoursin avatar image npoursin commented ·

Thank you....

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.