question

adammann avatar image
adammann asked

Is PlayFab dropping connections with Azure Functions, causing COMExceptions?

We are using PlayFab with Azure Functions.

On the Azure Functions side of things we are seeing a lot of System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException exceptions being thrown, with a not-very-useful stacktrace (attached)5684-comexception.txt. As far as we know there has been no user-facing error correlating with these exceptions, but they are still a concern to us.

My search for the root cause (and solution) has been mostly fruitless, though what I have found often seems to indicate that the 3rd party client could be dropping the connection with Azure Functions mid-request:

Is it possible that PlayFab is dropping connections with Azure Function? If so, would there be any events tracking that on the PlayFab side? Are there any situations that you know of where PlayFab would drop connections (exceeding a timeout, too many requests, etc)?

apisCloudScriptdata
comexception.txt (11.1 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

CloudScript calls to Azure Functions have timeout limits, refer to Execution limits. If the request times out, PlayFab will drop the connection with Azure Functions, but the Azure Functions will continue running. So, it may not affect the clients if you don’t need the Azure Functions return anything. Additionally, if you configure your Azure Functions execution calls to generate PlayStream events, events will be generated on timeouts.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

adammann avatar image adammann commented ·

I'll try enabling PlayStream events for Azure Functions calls for a little while, and see if we get timeout events that correlate with the COMExceptions. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.