question

joshuakent27 avatar image
joshuakent27 asked

Significance of Character Type

I'm working on a game where users need to make at least one character for now, and in the future, they will be able to make additional characters.

I'm working with the GrantCharacterToUser API in Unity, and I'm confused about the importance of the CharacterType property that's required. I tried putting in a random string, and that worked, but I've also read elsewhere that it's used to reference a catalogue (correct me if I'm wrong).

Basically, in this game there's no specific types of characters. The characters are the same when they are created and any customization comes from equipment. If that's the case, do I need to bother worrying about the CharacterType property, except to fill it since it's required?

Characters
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

If you use the server API GrantCharacterToUser, you can set the Character Name and Type as desired. If you use the Client API GrantCharacterToUser, the player needs to get an Item first (check the "Is a token for character creation" option when creating the Item), then call the Client API GrantCharacterToUser with the ItemId (which will be the CharacterType) and the CharacterName to get the Character. In short, how to set CharacterType depends on your needs.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.