question

dylan-1 avatar image
dylan-1 asked

False-positive multiplayer::matchmaking error clarifications?

(1) What would cause MatchmakingNumberOfPlayersInTicketTooLarge err for creating a new matchmaking ticket with self (creator) and 1 other? In the multiplayer::matchmaking api.

Since the lowest # of max players is 2 in a PF queue, this alone feels the err is impossible if I have only the creator + 1 other (2 total players):

wP2Fhoi.png

zTC4kLE.png

(2) Oddly enough, clearing MembersToMatchWith results in what appears to be another false positive err: Says that QueueName contains invalid characters, but it's just a regular string named "TestQueue2To2".

PSgnXTc.png

apissdksunrealdocumentation
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dylan-1 avatar image dylan-1 commented ·

For (2), that one's just an Unreal thing where a Lambda within a Lambda will sometimes kill the FString& ref and would - at last second - scramble the string to random Unicode. Passed by val to fix.

(1) is still a mystery, however.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Since the lowest # of max players is 2 in a PF queue, this alone feels the err is impossible if I have only the creator + 1 other (2 total players)

Please note that the ticket size(creator + other player) must be less than the maximum match size. Because if your ticket size is equal to maximum match size, then there is no need for matchmaking, the maximum number of people required for the match has been reached.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dylan-1 avatar image dylan-1 commented ·

Ah, I see! Thanks! Some feedback to possibly allow this: While this may make sense on paper, a real use-case is right above: For testing; now need to test with 3 clients instead of 2. Another use-case would be to start a match without writing extra code since this auto-allocates a server and such, so it's not the same as just matchmaking since it creates this server for me, still saving dev work. At least, that was the working theory. Another use-case is that Photon -- what you folks used before your own matchmaking system -- allowed this which just skipped matchmaking but continued other events.

Cheers for unblocking me - please note above for feedback for reasons to allow this :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.