question

Jackie Youwakim avatar image
Jackie Youwakim asked

Sending emails not working

Hello!

I am trying to send an email to my users when they update their contact email, but it does not seem to work. The contact email updates correctly though using AddOrUpdateContactEmail. For now, I have configured the smtp add on like this: smtp host is smtp.google.com with port 587 and I put a gmail account with its password. I created an email template and added a rule to send that template when the contact email is updated. I tried multiple times, but it does work and no event shows up in the PlayStream section of the players.

I also tried to send an email with SendCustomAccountRecoveryEmail, but I have the same issue.

I don't really know what the issue could be, does anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

apisAccount ManagementPartner Add-onsPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

What's your title id, and how did you set up the Rules, can you share some details?

8 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jackie Youwakim avatar image Jackie Youwakim commented ·

@Citrus Yan My title Id is C5CD0 and here is what I did for my rule

0 Likes 0 ·
Jackie Youwakim avatar image Jackie Youwakim commented ·

@Citrus Yan Sorry for some reason, the image I sent does not seem to appear in my previous message. Here is how I configured my rule, the event type is com.playfab.player_updated_contact_email. I added in my actions Send Email and selected the email template I made for the email confirmation. For the account recovery I simply changed the event type to com.playfab.player_password_reset_link_sent and changed the email template

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Jackie Youwakim commented ·

We do see the "sent_email" events generated, however, they all returning one of these three errors:

• NoContactEmailAddressFound
  • SmtpServerAuthenticationError
  • SmtpServerGeneralFailure

For 1, take player E38C061075E17072 for example, it has two 'sent_email" events, first at 2020-07-28T17:13:04.2319734Z and the second at 2020-07-28T17:13:04.2592174Z, however, its "player_updated_contact_email" event happened at 2020-07-28T17:13:05.0799501Z, which is after the "sent_email" event, that's the reason why the error "NoContactEmailAddressFound" happened because at that time the player doesn't have contact email updated. I can see that in your "verificationEmail' rule, the triggered event type is set as "player_created", not the "player_updated_contact_email" though. Could you please check on that? This doc goes through the whole process of verifying a contact email address, which should be helpful for your case:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/engagement/emails/using-a-rule-to-verify-a-contact-email-address#step-2---create-a-rule-to-send-an-email-when-a-contact-email-is-updated

For 2 & 3, there are coming from the smtp server, you may need to take a look on that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Citrus Yan commented ·

And, for account recovery, I don't think an additional rule is needed since that API already sends a recovery email to the player (if its contact email exists).

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Michael Lefebvre avatar image
Michael Lefebvre answered

Emails are currently not sending to invite people to our team. Have been trying to send one to invite a team member for 2 weeks. Never received. Nothing in junk.

1 comment
10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Do you mean that you cannot invite other people to your studio via the Game Manager:

In that case, can you open another thread regarding this so that we can help in that channel.

0 Likes 0 ·
inviteusers.png (22.3 KiB)
Juan Felipe Medrano avatar image
Juan Felipe Medrano answered

Hello, I have the same problem. Was there ever a solution for this?

10 |1200

joshuakent27 avatar image
joshuakent27 answered

I'm also experiencing the same problem. I have the smtp server set up for testing using smtp.gmail.com and port number 587. I have a gmail account with 2-factor authentication, so I created an app password and put my gmail address and app password into the the corresponding fields. I set up an email template and made a rule to send an email using that template upon adding or updating the user's contact email.

Like the original post no emails are received and there are no PlayStream events in the player's profile that relate to the email being sent. If there is anything I can do to address this, it would be much appreciated.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.