question

Thomas Brown avatar image
Thomas Brown asked

Prevent Unity Editor from title API access

Hello! Have a bit of a peculiar question.

I'm trying to prevent API access from the Unity Editor while developing the game to prevent accidental data leakage to my live title.

I know that the best way to likely to do this is to set the dev title as default in Unity and then only set the live title ID during the build process. However, I'm looking to work with more freelancers / developers on my game and I would love it if there was an outright way of preventing API access to anything but the dev title when the API is not calling from a production built version of the game. This allow me to prevent any junior developers / freelancers from accidentally selecting the wrong title and updating the live title with invalid data.

What I have looked in to so far is the PlayFab API permission policy, however I'm not sure if that will allow me to prevent access on where the API is effectively called from.

It's very possible that I'm missing something and that there is a better way to achieve what I'm after. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drallcom3 avatar image
drallcom3 answered

Without the secret key users can't use the server/admin API (and therefore no title stuff). Just don't hand out the secret key and they're as limited as a normal game client.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Currently, PlayFab doesn't support such a feature (preventing API access to anything but the dev title when the API is not calling from a production built version of the game). No matter marks the build version in request headers or body, it will be easy to modify. If you want to work with more freelancers / developers on your game, we recommend you give limited access to those developers by assigning different roles.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.