question

HitRock Games avatar image
HitRock Games asked

Advantages of Azure Functions with PlayFab?

Do I understand correctly that the main advantage of Azure Functions is that you don't have to pay for bandwidth? Because PlayFab services also work on Azure?

And if I use, for example, Amazon (AWS) with my own backend, then I have to pay extra for a large amount of data traffic between PlayFab?

CloudScript
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

To use Azure Functions, you must bring your own Azure subscription. In addition to the cost charged by Azure Functions, PlayFab also charges the number of calls (Total Executions) made to Azure Functions via ExecuteFunction API calls, actions & rules, and scheduled tasks, which is a minor cost about $0.20 per additional million executions. You can refer to Pricing Meters - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn for more detail. And you don't pay for data transfer between Azure services in the same region, while PlayFab core service is located at PlayFab static IP prefixes and addresses. You can check it from [Game Manager] -> [Title settings] -> [API Features]-> [PlayFab static IP prefixes and addresses].

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drallcom3 avatar image
drallcom3 answered

Do I understand correctly that the main advantage of Azure Functions is that you don't have to pay for bandwidth?

Is that so? I thought you have to pay for everything.

2 comments
10 |1200

HitRock Games avatar image HitRock Games commented ·

Network bandwidth

You don't pay for data transfer between Azure services in the same region. However, you can incur costs for outbound data transfers to another region or outside of Azure. To learn more, see Bandwidth pricing details.

azure/functions-consumption-costs

0 Likes 0 ·
drallcom3 avatar image drallcom3 HitRock Games commented ·

Interesting. I didn't expect them to be nice.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.