question

Haris Sevinc avatar image
Haris Sevinc asked

Multiplayer Servers

Hi there,

im confused about the "Requesting Multiplayer Server". I tough its creating session inside of server, but its taken completely server.

So if i need match 100 peoples with 50 matchmaking queue, so i have to create 50 server?

How can i create sessions like rooms in one server, without exceeding server user limits?

For example lets say have a server which can handle 100 players and i want to seperate it 50 rooms each for 2 peoples.

Also, maybe 100 rooms for each players like "Dark Souls". The base case is taking players under control of server even they are play alone.

Is that possible?

Custom Game Serversmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

So if i need match 100 peoples with 50 matchmaking queue, so i have to create 50 server?

PlayFab multiplayer servers are designed for session-based games, where each session represents a server instance. If your game has 100 players and every 2 players are in a session, yes you need 50 server instances.

How can i create sessions like rooms in one server, without exceeding server user limits?

Such server implementation needs the server keep running, while MPS is session-based, a server instance should be shut down when the match is over. Creating multiple rooms in a server is not much different from creating multiple server instances in a VM. If the VM could handle 50 rooms in one big server, it should have the ability to create 50 small server instances as well. When you implement your server, you can test how many server instances can be ran in a VM by configuring the ‘Servers per machine’. Refer to Build definition and configuration - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Haris Sevinc avatar image Haris Sevinc commented ·

Thanks for answer,

"Creating multiple rooms in a server is not much different from creating multiple server instances in a VM."

There is any API for this or i have to develop it myself?

Also im confused about "Servers Per Machine"

Is this meaning server count in that build? What is the meaning of "Per Machine". Im selecting it at "Build Details" after that there is override section in "Regions". So whats happening after i create;

Build Details Virtual Machine: Dasv4(16 Cores) Servers Per Machine: 10

Then override it with "Dasv4(2 Cores) and 10 Servers" ( As in screenshots)

5451-realshot1.png 5446-realshot2.png

0 Likes 0 ·
realshot1.png (19.7 KiB)
realshot2.png (26.0 KiB)
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao Haris Sevinc commented ·

"Servers per machine" means the maximum number of server instances running in the VM of your choice. If you select Dasv4(16 cores) and set Servers per machine to 10.

For your configuration of region East US, without override, there will be one Dasv4(16 cores) VM running in this region. Since you only need a maximum of 10 server instances, a single VM will do. After override, there will be one Dasv4(2 cores) VM running in this region, as you set the same "Servers per machine". But usually, it should be smaller than the Dasv4(16 cores).

For your configuration of region North Europe, without override, there will be one Dasv4(16 cores) VM running in this region. But there will be at most 2 server instances in it. After override, there will be up to 2 Dasv4(2 cores) VM running in this region.

Please note that to make a region available, you need to set at least 1 standby server.

1 Like 1 ·
Haris Sevinc avatar image Haris Sevinc Gosen Gao commented ·

Thanks for your answer,

5447-screenshot-3.png

So what's gonna happen in this scenario(Image)? Because it looks like;

"Max Servers" x "Servers Per Machine " = "Remaining"

So lets say;

i will create a system for 2000 players and i wanna let them play alone in per session for make them play single but also take that players under control of server.

That formula gonna work? Or can you offer me different build setup?

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-3.png (25.0 KiB)
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.