question

João Xavier avatar image
João Xavier asked

Stop game server missing in GameManager

Hi,

We used to be able to stop the running server from Game Manager.

Has there been any change, was this button moved or this functionality changed? How should I now stop the server to allow my new build to start?

Title: 64E6

Custom Game Serversgame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We removed the Terminate option from the Server Host page as it was causing too much confusion:

1. Terminating a server on that page would shut down a specific EC2 host machine, but another would immediately start to spin up if the build was active for the region and the min available slots was no longer met. So people would terminate servers there, thinking that this would stop any servers from running on their title - which wasn't the case.

2. Also, terminating a server host meant that we would not be able to retrieve the log or output files, as the host itself was gone. So we also had folks terminating server hosts, but then not being able to see any log files.

The correct way to disable a build for a region is via the build's configuration. When you have a new build, if you have a live title, the way to do this would be:

1. Activate the new build in any regions where you need it.

2. Wait for those new servers to reach the "Running" state.

3. Switch your Title Data to let the client know the correct Build Version to use when searching for games.

4. Turn off the regions in the old build configuration. No new games will start using this version going forward, so once players have finished any active sessions using it, those will go away, and then the host machine will go away when they're all gone.

If you have an issue that requires that you shut down active games, you should turn off the regions in that build version, then terminate the active sessions from the "Active Games" tab.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

João Xavier avatar image João Xavier commented ·

Thank you for the explanation! But what about when I want to replace an existing build (with the same name) with another one (say, a bugfix), what would be the scenario then?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan João Xavier commented ·

Unless you're still in development (in which case, you could just get rid of your existing build and replace it), I really can't advise making an update without changing your version identifier.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.