question

kevin-7 avatar image
kevin-7 asked

Setup a Steam Dedicated Server

Hello

We have an Unreal dedicated server and we want it to use the steam online subsystem. What do we need to install (and how exactly) on the Playfab side so that our dedicated server can do this?

I saw this post that seems to hint at how to do it, but I don't really understand:
https://community.playfab.com/questions/53806/is-it-possible-to-launch-multiple-steam-dedicated.html

Thanks

unrealCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

If you want to use steam online subsystem, you can refer to Online Subsystem Steam | Unreal Engine 4.27 Documentation and ask the Unreal support team for professional assistance. In addition, on PlayFab side, if you want to use PlayFab Multiplayer Server service, you have to integrate your server build with GSDK, you can refer to Integrating game servers with the PlayFab Game Server SDK (GSDK) - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. If you need player authenticatioin or in-app purchase via Valve’s Steam, you need to set up the Steam Add-on, you can refer to Setting up PlayFab authentication using Steam and Unity - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kevin-7 avatar image kevin-7 commented ·

Thanks for the reply, this is not what I meant (and we already did all of those). What we are looking for is having steam on the dedicated server, because the steam online subsystem needs steam or steamCMD to be there or it won't be used. Right now, the dedicated server uses null subsystem, because it can't find steam on the dedicated server.

I tought that maybe some kind of setting on the server needs to be changed so that steamCMD will be installed on the dedicated server? What exactly are we suppose to do?

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha kevin-7 commented ·

If you want to install SteamCMD in your desiccated server, you can refer to SteamCMD - Valve Developer Community (valvesoftware.com). In addition, we are not familiar with SteamCMD, you may try to ask Steam for professional Steam Support. Thanks for your understanding.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevin-7 avatar image
kevin-7 answered

I was able to get the log files of our server and here seems to be the problem:

LogOnline: Error: STEAM: Failed to create file: C:/Assets/WindowsNoEditor/Netherworld/Binaries/Win64/steam_appid.txt LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Could not create/update the steam_appid.txt file! Make sure the directory is writable and there isn't another instance using this file LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Could not set up the steam environment! Falling back to another OSS. LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steam API failed to initialize! LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()

Now, my question is, how do I make the directory writable on the server?
@Xiao Zha

1 comment
10 |1200

Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha commented ·

The problem may be an access violation caused by different server instances access the same file. If you run your server in process mode, you can try to change it to container mode and try again.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevin-7 avatar image
kevin-7 answered

Turns out that we had to build the shipping version of the server

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.