question

zacharydemaria avatar image
zacharydemaria asked

Finding display names of members of an entity group

I've been trying to make a clan system, and am attempting to display the clan members display names in a friends list style GUI, however I'm having trouble getting the display names of the clan members at all, let alone in a clean and API friendly way. What is the best way to get the display names of all members of an Entity group? (for the sake of this question, assume that all members of the entity group are players)

apisentities
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gerald Phillips avatar image Gerald Phillips commented ·

any updates to this? It's been almost 5 years and no direct response regarding something that should be pretty standard for this type of system. I am currently trying to implement a solution myself, but am not having much luck.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Our V1 of Groups is fairly basic at the moment, so while you can use the Groups to manage clan-type behavior in a lightweight manner, we don't have support for everything you want at the moment. In this specific case, the https://api.playfab.com/documentation/entity/method/ListGroupMembers API call does not return a complete set of info about every user in the Group. And since it would be a particularly bad idea to iterate that list and query data for each user (since that would generate excessive API calls, which could get your title throttled or blocked), the best bet would be to work within the scope of what's available now, and plan on adding features as we roll them out later this year. We will be updating the Groups functionality in upcoming sprints with additional features - and we'll be posting our roadmap publicly shortly, so that you can plan around this.

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zacharydemaria avatar image zacharydemaria commented ·

Thanks for that, I was scratching my head about it for a couple of days!

0 Likes 0 ·
katanasimulations avatar image katanasimulations zacharydemaria commented ·

Thanks Brendan, the update is much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Pacheco avatar image Paul Pacheco commented ·

Was this resolved? I want the same thing. It looks like GetProfiles would serve this purpose, but I guess I am missing a policy? it comes back empty.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Paul Pacheco commented ·

No, we are working on completing the Groups capability to fully support Guilds/Clans/Teams and expect to have that released in Q1.

1 Like 1 ·
katanasimulations avatar image katanasimulations brendan commented ·

Is there any update on this? Is a release around GDC realistic? End of Q1? Is there a threshold for which throttling or blocking would be likely so we could use this in the interim until the new functionality is released?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
capricornum avatar image capricornum commented ·

October 2020.

For now I am simply displaying the members ID. It would be nice to display their usernames, or display names instead.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) answered

Any update on this?

10 |1200

William van V. avatar image
William van V. answered

Hi all, we're currently working on a clan feature for our game and we are also facing this problem. It has been a few years now since this question has been raised, is there any update on this by any chance?

10 |1200

isaac150619 avatar image
isaac150619 answered

At this point in 2022 you could just use shared groups to save a new members entity id with passed arguments kinda like a dictionary in a json. Its a workaround theory so something might break.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.