question

Danjel Ricci avatar image
Danjel Ricci asked

Can Chinese players connect to PlayFab?

I had reports from my testers in China that they are unable to access Leaderboards within my game, they only can if they use a VPN. I think at this point the whole login phase didn't work for them when using a standard connection. I've seen a number of old threads about upcoming support for China, and I fact I've just found this recent article that would suggest so.

Am I missing something or is China not yet supported as it is?

Leaderboards and Statistics
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The servers for the core PlayFab service (the Web API calls) are all in US West. So, any calls from China-based endpoints do have to pass through the Great Firewall. There is no way for us to predict whether or not those calls will be allowed through, given that the firewall is changed frequently, in terms of what it allows and what it blocks. There are many games operating in PlayFab that have China-based players, but I do believe that those players tend to use VPNs, yes.

A China-based version of PlayFab - which would also require swapping out some core components, since the existing authentication and payment provider integrations we have, for example, would not be effective for users in that region - is something we plan to provide in future, but we do not have a schedule for that right now. We did have a partner in region we were working closely with, and with whom we thought we were going to be jointly launching a China instance, a little while ago - that's the source of the older articles you saw. For the newer article, please bear in mind that PlayFab is not yet a listed Azure service. Once it is (which we are working on), we'll have more options in that regard.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Danjel Ricci avatar image Danjel Ricci commented ·

Ok, that makes it clear, thanks for the explanation.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.