question

innova3di avatar image
innova3di asked

Server Build: Process vs Container

I personally find that running the server via process is relatively straightforward compared with running it via container.

What are the Pros and Cons of Process and Container?

If running the Server via Container whether locally or even online does not offer any pros/advantages over running the Server via Process then I see no point going through the troubles of debugging/running and let alone troubleshooting errors thrown at me by the agent when trying to run via Container.

So, What are the Pros and Cons of Process and Container?

How are they more advantageous against each other?

-With much appreciation.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

A process represents a running program; it is an instance of an executing program.

By default a process has pretty minimal isolation from the operating system resources. For example, you can easily get an error if you try to run multiple services on the same port. There are two main things that are isolated by default for processes:

1. A process gets its own memory space.
  2. A process has restricted privileges. A process gets the same privileges as the user that created the process.

A container is an isolated group of processes that are restricted to a private root filesystem and process namespace. Containers allow many applications to run on one server, but is a pseudo-isolated environment. The container is pretending to be its own operating system. It can run a group of processes in, what it thinks is, an isolated environment.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

innova3di avatar image innova3di commented ·

Does that mean a container is more secure as it is like a sandbox isolated from the rest of the OS? And by multiple services, do you mean services from other back-end aside PlayFab or services from PlayFab only?

I only have one game that only requires 1v1 match in the same single scene. All other matched players for 1v1 will be spawned in a separate scene making the scenes in the game instanced based for every matched players.

Is Server Process enough to handle my game? Or do I need a Container for this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ innova3di commented ·

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the container is more secure as the processes inside it are isolated. By multiple services I mean multiple programs. But if you only have a simple game program running on server, you can use the process mode.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.