question

Benjamin Golinvaux avatar image
Benjamin Golinvaux asked

Catalog version: primary vs latest

Hi !

Small question : in the (Unreal) SDK docs, the CatalogVersion field of FPurchaseItemRequest mentions :

// [optional] Catalog version for the items to be purchased (defaults to most recent version.

Is this really the latest version, or would it be the primary one?

I am a bit nervous because I just created a new catalog and there are game versions in the field (testers only, but external ones where we don't want the game to break) that neither specify this field nor filter the items based on a criterion, and I want to add a new item category in another catalog version (I know this is not their intended use). Is there a risk that these game versions suddenly switch to the latest catalog, as indicated in the function doc?

(I just checked and the REST doc is the same... obviously, since the SDKs are autogenerated)

EDIT: I found this comment from Brendan who mentions that we should not use Catalog Versions for segregating based on arbitrary criteria and that we should only use it for version control.

In any case, I now have a problem : the game currently does not set CatalogVersion in the request when retrieving the catalog, and the current code is not able to cope with the new items that I plan to add.

If I understand the documentation correctly, these older version of the game will always use the latest version of the catalog , and will crash, then ?

What should I have done to ensure that the primary catalog is used? Can purchases be made on non-primary catalogs?

I naively thought that, similar to the way the CloudScript works (live vs latest), I could prepare the next catalog and switch it to primary only when the new client version is deployed.

Thanks for any clarification you might bring to this.

entities
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

>> If I understand the documentation correctly, these older version of the game will always use the latest version of the catalog , and will crash, then ?

If you are not switching your latest version catalog to Primary Catalog, your older version game will not use the latest version of the catalog and will not crash for that.

>> What should I have done to ensure that the primary catalog is used? Can purchases be made on non-primary catalogs?

If you are not specifying the catalog version, you can get the primary catalog items. You can specify the catalog version to purchase the items in non-primary catalog.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Benjamin Golinvaux avatar image Benjamin Golinvaux commented ·

Thank you.

In that case, I believe the documentation must be fixed, if "defaults to most recent version" must be replaced by "defaults to the primary one" (for instance, in this link)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.