question

Greggory Addison avatar image
Greggory Addison asked

Best approach to CO-OP & PVP Hybrid Servers (Security)

Hello, I’m planning for my game and I had a few questions concerning security. In my game players will have solo or co-op missions that will grant them things upon completion. (Rewards, Abilities etc.)

Since my first thought was to use PlayFab Lobbies to handle these types of missions I was wondering how to securely add these rewards? Are lobbies server authoritative or are they more of a P2P set up.

I did read in the docs that you are able to create a server owned lobby. Not sure if that would help.

Basically I want my co-op/solo sessions to have some form of security because the things you earn there can be taken into and used in PVP.

Would the best approach be, having all solo/co-op missions as a multiplayer queue that way players connect to a server? Wouldn’t that be outrageously expensive? I mean what if 10,000 players queue up for a solo mission that’s 10k separate instances running right?

Player DataunrealCustom Game Serversgame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

PlayFab Lobby is a service to create a temporary grouping mechanism for players to play games together, which is not provide data validation feature.

Considering security issues, it is indeed the best way to use servers to process rewards. But as you said, if 10,000 players queue up for a solo mission that needs 10k separate instances, although a VM can run multiple instances, but this still a large number. For further price estimates, you can refer to Estimate your monthly charges for MPS (playfab.com).

We would recommend that you can use Azure Function to process rewards, as it is a serverless solution, you can do data validation before granting rewards.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.