question

gamestimed avatar image
gamestimed asked

Does every member of my team need to install UE source to use Playfab Multiplayer GSDK?

As the title suggests, my team and I are using Unreal Engine 5 to make a multiplayer game. Our game needs a main server where all the players will join (no 100 player lobbies and other stuff, just one main server). Reading through the docs I saw that in order to use Playfab Unreal GDSK for Multiplayer servers, I need to install the Unreal Engine source version. My question is: Will everyone need to install the source version or is it enough only for one person in order for everyone to use the plugin?

unrealmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

Yes, as you can see in this docs, if you want to include the PlayFab GSDK into your modules, your Unreal Engine version should be source build. So, every member of your team needs to install UE source to use PlayFab Multiplayer GSDK. In addition, according to your description, I think your game requires the server to run for a long time. While the PlayFab Multiplayer Server is a session-based service, it is not designed for long time running. In common scenario, a server is for some players to play a match and it should be shut down after the match is over. For more detail, please refer to this document: Multiplayer with PlayFab - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.