question

Greggory Addison avatar image
Greggory Addison asked

How to authenticate with Steam - UE5

So I entered the Steam Direct program, paid the 100$ to get an AppID so that I could test authentication with Steam. Currently its not working and there are a ton of blank spots in the docs when it comes to using steam and playfab in tandem with unreal. I'm not sure if I need to change the config files to use both OnlineSubsystemSteam and OnlineSubsystemPlayFab or to just handle everything through playfab. The only thing I want to use steam for is an Identity provider so players can just sign in with their steam accounts and use their usernames from that platform. I've tried to google the proper way to set this up and havent found much help.

I need the steps to follow after you get your own AppID from steam and web api key.
Has anyone successfully done this and can help me move past this road block.

sdksunrealAuthenticationmultiplayerPartner Add-ons
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The PlayFab documents have provided quick tutorial for using PlayFab plugin in Unreal, and the REST API document of Login with Steam. As the document mentioned, the LoginWithSteam API takes the SteamTicket in request body, which is returned as a byte array from Steam. For the question of how to get the SteamTicket in Unreal 5, please contact the Steam support for help.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.