question

ssuder avatar image
ssuder asked

Confusion about SDKs available for Unreal Engine

Hello,

I'm working on an Unreal Engine 5 project using PlayFab. I successfully integrated the GSDK via the UnrealPlugin and already got a dedicated multiplayer server running on PlayFab to which I can connect (by requesting a server through the web interface and looking up its IP).

If I understand correctly, the functionality provided by the GSDK is only relevant for the dedicated server itself (correct me if I'm wrong here).

To use other PlayFab services (like user management) on the client side, I installed the UnrealMarketplacePlugin, which has the modules 'PlayFab', 'PlayFabCpp' and 'PlayFabCommon'.

I'm now unsure which module serves what purpose and if they overlap in functionality? I think I could still call PlayFab functions from my C++ classes when only enabling PlayFab, so what is the PlayFabCpp for?

Thanks in advance.

sdksunreal
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

>>If I understand correctly, the functionality provided by the GSDK is only relevant for the dedicated server itself (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Yes, GSDK only contains MPS related functions. PlayFab core service needs to add another SDK, such as the UnrealMarketplacePlugin you are using.

>>I'm now unsure which module serves what purpose and if they overlap in functionality? I think I could still call PlayFab functions from my C++ classes when only enabling PlayFab, so what is the PlayFabCpp for?

PlayFab is used for Blueprint modules and PlayFabCpp is used for C++ modules. You can refer to the description and source code in GitHub - PlayFab/UnrealMarketplacePlugin: Source code for the PlayFab Marketplace Plugin for Unreal.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ssuder avatar image ssuder commented ·

If I'm correct I can also use the Blueprint modules from my C++ code? Is there any reason why I should not do that?

My impression is that some functionality is more convenient to use with the Blueprint modules even when working in C++.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Made Wang avatar image Made Wang ssuder commented ·

PlayFab UnrealMarketplacePlugin supports Blueprint and C++ for mixed development, feel free to use.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.