question

gooby avatar image
gooby asked

Confusion about client API registration

Hello all, I want to use Playfab as a database of sorts for my game server in Unity. I like that I can attach other game account like Google Play and Steam to it with ease.

I am just a little confused by the API. Only the client API allows the client to register and log in, while the server API does not. Shouldn't it be up to the server to allow such a thing? Shouldn't the server API handle registration and send the response back to the client?

I figured I could just send (for a minimal example) the username and password for registration to the server, have the server call the Client API to handle it and send a response back to the client of the result. Is this the proper way to use it? because it seems wrong since the "server" is using the "client" API.

The closest thing I found is PlayFabServerAPI.AuthenticateSessionTicket, which I assume is only for logging in? But then again, there is no registration.

I want to learn the best approach for going about this. Or if Playfab isnt the right thing to use as a backend database, I'd like to know that as well.

Any guidance is appreciated!

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

The registration and login APIs are called on the client side, the APIs hand over the data to the PlayFab server for processing, and then PlayFab returns results or errors to the client, which is a process hosted by PlayFab.

Also, to clarify, PlayFab is a complete backend platform for live games with managed game services, real-time analytics, and LiveOps. It has some of the functionality of a database, but not quite a database.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.