question

John A Rocha avatar image
John A Rocha asked

Persistent Data With Photon?

I've done quiet a bit of reading on the best way to handle this and I've came across mixed answers. So I figured I would ask the community the best way to handle my situation and see if anyone could guide me in the proper direction with maybe a pro/con of why I should or shouldn't use one of the options I've found.

When a player joins my game they're automatically either thrown into a room or if one does not exist that isn't full then a new one is generated. The world itself has purchasable pieces of land and a few other things I would like to be handled globally. So when a player purchases a piece of land, the purchased land should reference the room ID so when that room ID is loaded, it will display the person owns that piece of land. I have a few other things but this being the main situation.

I've read people recommend using Internal Title Data for certain things. BUT this can take up to 15 minutes to update which is a reason that it should not be used.

I've also read people recommend using Entity Groups which I guess I could create a group with the room ID and store the land information with the owner ID in it.

I've also however read people use the system like the high scores to handle data like that.

Is there a better way to handle stuff that you would want to be basically a global variable that is used across the whole room. (I typically use mysql. But PlayFab had some really good reviews and it's worked well for handling my player information. I'm just trying to find a good way to handle global variables so I can continue using it.)

Thanks in advance.

Title DataShared Group Datadata
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

PlayFab does not support frequently changing global variables. And Your point about Title Data is correct. We recommend to use an external database to achieve this function. If you think Entity Group can be used as a workaround, you can try to use it.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.