question

Robyn To avatar image
Robyn To asked

UE4 Unreal correct secret key config for server

Hello!

What is the recommended way to set the developer secret key for the server in Unreal?

I have seen these posts: 1, 2, and 3

Removing the developer secret key by hand for any client build is not feasible for our pipeline.

Setting the secret key in BP with SetPlayFabSettings in server-only code causes the Unreal engine crash where secret key and client login cannot exist together.

Open to suggestions! I haven't been able to find the answers I need

unrealmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The 2nd thread you found has provided 3 correct ways to set the secret key for server in Unreal:

• You can include the secret key in DefaultEngine.ini with this format

[/Script/PlayFabCommon.PlayFabRuntimeSettings]
    TitleId=XX123
    DeveloperSecretKey=ASecretKeyThatNeedsRemovingOnClientBuilds

• You can define them in the setPlayFabSettings Blueprint.
      • You can also navigate to [Edit] -> [Project Settings] -> [Plugins] -> [PlayFab] to set them in the Editor.

The client build and the server build should be separated. Why is removing the secret key by hand for any client build is not feasible for your pipeline? What is your pipeline?

You should not use the client login APIs in server-only code as those are client APIs.

2 comments
        10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Robyn To avatar image Robyn To commented ·

We are not using client login APIs in server-only code, and our pipelines should be automated for all team members

0 Likes 0 ·
        Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Robyn To commented ·

Then what are the issues for the above solutions? Could you describe them in detail?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.