question

dev@megapower.games avatar image
dev@megapower.games asked

[Unity] Any new server build I upload seems to break matchmaking

Hi,

Over the past week I've been struggling with matchmaking issues, with the matchmaking polling always returning as cancelled with a reason of 'Internal' (this is through unity) and initially believed the reason to be related to Server API calls I was attempting to make.

But after testing locally and with the multiplayer agent, I am strongly suspecting that there is an issue with my title id and the matchmaking engine.

To test this theory further, I created a new server build from an existing validated (and working) branch, uploaded it to the multiplayer servers, and changed the matchmaking queues I was testing to point to that new build. Any matchmaking tickets that were attempted were cancelled by the server for that one too.

The only successful time I was able to get matchmaking working again was by switching the queue to point to a build I had uploaded months ago (that was the same as the existing branch I uploaded today). It seems like something has happened between then and now but with Unity only returning 'Internal' as a reason for cancellation I'm stuck.

Custom Game ServersmultiplayerMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

After doing some research, I found that the cause can be something wrong with the Matchmaking configuration. If there are no standby servers in regions that meet the latency requirements, you will encounter this issue. For example, if the maximum latency you set in the queue is 200, and the latencies in the MatchmakingTicket is

"Latencies": [
                    {
                        "region": "EastUs",
                        "latency": 400
                    },
                    {
                        "region": "WestUs",
                        "latency": 50
                    },
                    {
                        "region": "EastAsia",
                        "latency": 50
                    }
                ]

, and all the Standby servers are in the region EastUs. In this case, you will find that the Matchmaking result is canceled and the CancellationReason is "Internal". After adding some Standby servers to the region WestUs, the matching system is functioning normally. Would you please check your settings to see if this is the case? Since we do not have permission to access your queue configuration, it will be better if you can share more info to us.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dev@megapower.games avatar image dev@megapower.games commented ·

Apologies for the delay, but this triggered what led to the eventual solution. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

May I know your titleId and the detailed error message?

This issue may be related to the server status, and at least one server needs to be in Standby state to be available. You can find more info in this page -- Lifecycle of a multiplayer server build region

3 comments
10 |1200

dev@megapower.games avatar image dev@megapower.games commented ·

Title id is 6ACBA

There is no error message when matchmaking is done. Only that the status of the ticket is 'Cancelled' with a reason of 'Internal' (this is when getting the GetMatchmakingTicketResult when I poll).

I host 8 servers on a 2 core Dasv4 image, and I confirm all of my servers are confirmed to be in standby state whenever I attempt matchmaking. In the past when I accidentally don't have anything in standby state I receive an error message that there's no server to connect to, but this is different.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao dev@megapower.games commented ·

There is a known incident caused by AWS outage that makes the Matchmaking System abnormal, and it should be resolved now. Could you please test it again to see if you still have this issue? You can check more information here -- Outage Across Multiple Services.

0 Likes 0 ·
dev@megapower.games avatar image dev@megapower.games Gosen Gao commented ·

Hi, I just reinitialized a set of my servers to standby, tried to matchmake, and received the same 'internal' cancellation reason. If this is related to that outage it seems like it's not fixed in my instance.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.