question

flaxenflash avatar image
flaxenflash asked

Playfab for leaderboard ghosts

We have an existing racing game that uses platform specific leaderboards and saves ghost data for each user's best leaderboard entries. We are looking at a new platform that doesn't have these facilities available and I'm trying to work out if this is something I can do with Playfab.

As far as I can tell, it seems like ideally we'd use the new UGC stuff for this, but we'll likely need it before it becomes available (unless you have any updates on that).

It seems like entities could also work for this in the meantime, but even with reading the posts on here and the documentation I'm still not super clear what the limits are on per user entity storage space.

At the moment our data can fit into 1-2mb per user. If it was reasonable I'd be tempted to transition all our platforms here and expand our leaderboards a bit which might put us closer to 10mb per user.

Reads and writes to this data are relatively infrequent. At most 1 read and 1 write every few minutes, likely much less on average.

We aren't likely to break 100,000 users, but I'd obviously like to avoid problems in case we did.

Does this seem like a reasonable usecase for entities or am I likely to run into issues/limits?

Player DataLeaderboards and Statisticsentitieslimits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Entity Object doesn’t fit your requirement as 1-2 MB is too large. Please navigate to [Game Manager] - > [Title Settings] -> [Limits] to check the details. The total size of Entity Objects is 10 * 2,000 bytes, which doesn't meet your requirement. You may need to change the way to store the ghost records and shrink the size.

Though I believe it can be done via Entity file, the data is stored on Azure, meanwhile if you use Entity file, additional steps will be required, and you may call GetFiles API to get the resource URL and retrieve the data from that URL. Then apply those data to your game client. If you have questions on billing, feel free to submit a form via Contact us (playfab.com)

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

flaxenflash avatar image flaxenflash commented ·

Our ghosts are already heavily compressed to fit inside 1-2MB per player so I won't be able to get them much smaller. We are fitting up to 60 ghosts in that space.

I had looked at that limit page before but was getting confused by not being familiar with some of the naming conventions. Looks like player entity objects are limited to 5*1000 bytes so yeah not enough.

Entity files might be fine. I could handle 10 files per player by batching ghosts together. I don't see a size limit specifically for "title player account entity files". I presume they are just counted against the 50000GB "total title level entity files" limit? If so I could do 10mb for up to 500000 players which would should be plenty

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ flaxenflash commented ·

>>I presume they are just counted against the 50000GB "total title level entity files" limit?

Yes

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.