question

Taryn Dickson avatar image
Taryn Dickson asked

Can a Steam game use PlayFab services without players manually creating an account?

What I would like to do is simply use Steam for authentication and then tie all PlayFab user-specific services to the player's Steam account, with no user management done on the player's end. I don't want them to have to create a PlayFab account, or any manual actual past launching the game from Steam. Is this possible? Is it as simple as logging in with steam and then creating an account for the user behind the scenes, and populating the minimum required information based on information available from their Steam account?

Player DataAccount Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

>>Is it as simple as logging in with steam and then creating an account for the user behind the scenes, and populating the minimum required information based on information available from their Steam account?

Correct, you can use this API: LoginWithSteam to sign the steam user in using a Steam authentication ticket, then PlayFab will automatically create an account (if the specific steam account is never linked to other PlayFab account before) that’s tied to the specific steam account. We have a simple tutorial that walks you through the basic flow, please take a look: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/authentication/platform-specific-authentication/steam-unity

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Taryn Dickson avatar image
Taryn Dickson answered

Thanks, that was the impression I had. I saw some complaints on Steam forums about a game using PlayFab that required players to create a PlayFab account with email and password, so I got thrown off a bit by that and wanted to make sure.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.