question

Joe Fender avatar image
Joe Fender asked

Linux builds assets

I have created a Linux server build but cannot seem to get it to run within PlayFab. I am getting StartServersFailed for the server state. The documentation isn't particularly clear on how to fill out the information in the Game Manager for Linux builds.

What should the Mount path be set to? I tried /data/Assets but assume that's wrong. I SSHed into the VM for the failed server and saw that there is a /mnt/DownloadedAssets folder that contains the server zip build I added. Do I then need to manually unzip the asset or do you do that?

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joe Fender avatar image
Joe Fender answered

Yes, I was able to use the tool that @Brandon Phillips recommended in his comment and it worked well.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

OK, great!

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

The mount path is something you need to specify on your own, it points to where those assets should be mounted within the container's file system. And, StartServersFailed indicates that your server hosted on PlayFab cannot run properly. Did you integrate your game server with our GSDK and locally debug it to verify its integration with the GSDK? We recommend that your go through these steps in the “Authoring a game server” section before uploading your server build to PlayFab: Basics of a PlayFab game server - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

21 comments
10 |1200

Joe Fender avatar image Joe Fender commented ·

Thanks for the response. Ok, I will try a different mount path. Does that mean it gets moved from /mnt/DownloadedAssets to the mount path for us? Does it get unzipped too?

Our server is integrated via GSDK and worked as a Windows build when running on PlayFab. We made a Linux build version of the same thing and it worked fine on our Docker container locally. I was assuming that StartServersFailed was because the server didn't mount and run?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Joe Fender commented ·

Yes, it will move the asset files to the mount path within the container's file system for you. And, based on my experience, it should get unzipped as well.

For the second question, yes, it's possible. May I know what's your "start-server" command? And, you can also try using ContainerRunCommand to start your server, I think this thread may help: How to use and test ContainerRunCommand on Linux container with Multiplayer Server 2.0? - Playfab Community

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Joe Fender commented ·

By the way, could you please share your build configuration for us to investigate? You can use GetBuild to get a detailed one.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Fender avatar image Joe Fender Citrus Yan commented ·

Sure, here is the config: https://snippi.com/s/ql8pm5w

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments
Joe Fender avatar image
Joe Fender answered

@Citrus Yan @Sarah Zhang heya - any update here? It's odd that it works locally but not on your servers.

5 comments
10 |1200

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

@Joe Fender I created a tool that makes this process pretty simple and automatic for Linux containers, you just need to upload your assets, set the mount path (/data/Assets/) and set your start command (ex: /data/Assets/GameServer.x86_64) and then create the container and create a build. I've provided some examples in the Readme as well:

https://github.com/bphillips09/PFAdmin

There's also an example build.json file if you would rather use the CLI

https://github.com/bphillips09/PFAdmin/blob/master/build.json

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Fender avatar image Joe Fender brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

@Brandon Phillips Looks like a useful tool - Nice one. However, I tried to run it on Mac and get an error when selecting Create Container. Both Docker Desktop and PowerShell are installed and running on my machine.

0 Likes 0 ·
brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com Joe Fender commented ·

@Joe Fender Sorry, this is something GateKeeper does in newer versions of macOS

To fix, just take the PFAdmin.app and drag it outside the PFAdmin folder, then back inside the folder, then run it again

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Joe Fender avatar image Joe Fender brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.