question

nsgames-alex avatar image
nsgames-alex asked

Why are all my attempts at using the Dedicated Server Setup ending in TooManyServerRestarts? (Unreal Engine 4.25.3)

I have followed the "Integrating the PlayFab GSDK into Unreal Engine 4" guide to the letter except for:

• Updating the Build.cs file's directories to reference the newest version of GSDK
  • Including a new library from GSDK

Which I did on my own.

Additionally, I found a suggestion to specify that n.VerifyPeer = true, followed it, still no luck.

The server runs just fine on my personal PC; I can connect via 127.0.0.1 with no trouble from the client.

When I used RDP to look at the server I noticed that C:\Assets didn't exist.

Everything else with PlayFab works great; this is the only kink I've run into (which stinks because this is one of if not the most important components to my game right now).

That is just about all the information about my issue I can get. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know!

Project info:

• Unreal Engine 4.25.3 Source Build from 8/7/20
  • PlayFab plugin from the Unreal Marketplace
  • GSDK C++ v140.0.7.200221
unrealCustom Game Serversmultiplayergame manager
on4z1.png (5.5 KiB)
bcosz.png (133.6 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

RDP doesn't directly point to the inside of the server container. It points to the VM that is more like a server manager. So the "C:\Assets" doesn't exist.

If you use a Windows container, we would suggest you locally debug the game servers first, especially locally verify containerization for your dedicated server. It makes sure that the server instance is packaged with all the required dependencies. In most cases, “TooManyServerRestarts” is caused by missing some *.dlls within the uploaded server build zip file.

You can check this documentation Locally debugging game servers and integration with PlayFab for more details about locally debugging.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

nsgames-alex avatar image nsgames-alex commented ·

The container exited with exit code 1, so per the link on verifying containerization I tried using listdlls to figure out which DLL files I need. They're all either in the folder already or in C:\WINDOWS\. All but one are in ...\System32, that last one is in ...\WinSxS.

I tried running the base image, too. How can I tell which DLL's are in the image and which aren't?

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang nsgames-alex commented ·

If you have run the image as this section says. You can use the following command to list the *.dll files under the "C:\Windows\System32".

cd C:\Windows\System32
dir *.dll
0 Likes 0 ·
nsgames-alex avatar image nsgames-alex Sarah Zhang commented ·

Thank you for all the help! I've isolated a list of all the DLL files I need. How should I go about including them in the asset package?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
nsgames-alex avatar image nsgames-alex commented ·

The VM is running and Healthy! Now the server has been stuck on Initializing for a while and the build status has been on Deploying a while, too. Is that cause for concern or should I let it do its thing?

Edit: Build status is back to Unhealthy. The server is still on Initializing

Edit 2: All good!

0 Likes 0 ·
Geo avatar image
Geo answered

@NSGames_Alex Can I contact to you at discord or somewhere else . Kinda having issue on my build just like u have , can i take your couple of mins to fix my own issue ! i would appreciate a lot .
Kind Regards!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.