question

Adam Single avatar image
Adam Single asked

Matchmaking flow with Unity

I am very confused as to the best way to diagnose what is happening. I have a simple 1v1 matchmaking set up that I'm trying to test out. I have the process mostly working I think. A user logs in, creates a ticket and I see that ticket's status go to WaitingForMatch. When a second person looks for a match, I see both ends saying that their tickets are WaitingForServer. But they never go to Matched.
I don't know how to solve or diagnose the issue. I assume my game server is never launching? But why might that be? It's a very simple Game Server at this point that doesn't really do anything except implement the Game Server package. But I would have expected it to be enough to at least move the ticket to Matched so I can get the server IP and port and test trying to connect.
Any ideas on how to move forward would be appreciated

Custom Game ServerstestMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The ticket status being WaitingForServer all the time seems like there are some server issues and matchmaking can never allocate a server. Could you check your Multiplayer Server Builds? If it is healthy, the status should be Deployed. And you need to make sure that there should be enough stand by servers when the tickets are matched. Could you describe the steps in detail of how you setup the server builds?

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Adam Single avatar image Adam Single commented ·

So there needs to be standby servers? My understanding was you didn't need that, but that it would take longer for a server to launch of you didn't. I work on my game maybe an hour or two a week. Having a server on standby all the time will use my free hours up will it not? My server says initialised. Am I just not waiting long enough for it to launch?

0 Likes 0 ·
Adam Single avatar image Adam Single commented ·

So there needs to be standby servers? My understanding was you didn't need that, but that it would take longer for a server to launch of you didn't. I work on my game maybe an hour or two a week. Having a server on standby all the time will use my free hours up will it not? My server says initialised. Am I just not waiting long enough for it to launch?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Adam Single commented ·

Having a server on standby does use your free hours. If there is no standby server, it does take a long time for the VM to preparing the server. Please refer to Basics of a PlayFab game server for detail.

If the server is initialized but never turn to Standby or Active state, there could be some issue when server is initialized. Could you please provide the code snippet of the server initializing and the server logs?

0 Likes 0 ·
Adam Single avatar image Adam Single Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

Where do I find or get access to the server logs?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Pham Do Truong avatar image
Pham Do Truong answered

hello, i'm facing the same issue, i got the match once, and almost time it start with WaitingForMatch, and turn iinto WaitingForServer, and after 120 secs, it cancel the ticket

10 |1200

Pham Do Truong avatar image
Pham Do Truong answered

my server is in deployed status

10 |1200

waleed avatar image
waleed answered

Have anyone found a solution, I'm also having the exact same issue the match-making never goes past the state "WaitingForServer" and eventually the give-up time reach

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.