question

attilavarg avatar image
attilavarg asked

How to run different game servers in a virtual machine

Hi Everyone, I started to use PlayFab a few days ago and so far I am pretty impressed. There are few things though I cannot figure out.

1. Can I set my region to EU using the free tier? I only have West and East US available, the other options are greyed out.

2. How can I run different game servers(different maps, different executables) on the same virtual machine. I can see the option to add multiple zipped assets, when creating a new build in game manager. How can I choose which exe to run from my UE4 game client? For now I just use LoginWithCustomID and RequestMultiplayerServer.

3. My game has a persistent world where players can join and leave as they please. How long can I keep a UE4 dedicated server alive?

unrealCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

>>1. Can I set my region to EU using the free tier? I only have West and East US available, the other options are greyed out.

We have free server cores quota in North Europe and East US for free tiers, more details are stated in this doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/billing-for-thunderhead

However, currently the Game Manager is not reflecting the quota listed in the doc, therefore you can only see EastUS and WestUS in your selection list. if you need some cores in North Europe for testing, feel free to post which core (Av2/Dv2/Fv2) and how many cores you need below.

>>2. How can I run different game servers(different maps, different executables) on the same virtual machine. I can see the option to add multiple zipped assets, when creating a new build in game manager. How can I choose which exe to run from my UE4 game client? For now I just use LoginWithCustomID and RequestMultiplayerServer.

PlayFab operates multiplayer servers as containerized apps on Azure virtual machines, multiple servers of the same build can run on a single VM. You can use different builds to manage different game servers. Once you uploaded server assets you can create & use builds to scale uploaded multiplayer servers, PlayFab dynamically creates and recycles virtual machines to fulfill player demand and maintain standing-by levels you specify. You can use RequestMultiplayerServer to ask for a server instance to be allocated from a build’s standing-by pool. Please check out this doc for more info about the basics of PlayFab Multiplayer Servers:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/

3. My game has a persistent world where players can join and leave as they please. How long can I keep a UE4 dedicated server alive?

PlayFab MPS is well suited for session based game servers, it’s not recommended to have an server instance run too long. May I know how long you want to keep the dedicated server alive?

10 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

attilavarg avatar image attilavarg commented ·

Hi Citrus, thanks for your reply.

1.) I'm planning to use Av2 instances for testing.

3.) I would like to run a persistent world as long as there are players on it, that may mean 24/7 with a reset in every few days.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan attilavarg commented ·

Our server hosting was designed for short-lived multiplayer sessions, servers running for days without stopping is not supported.

0 Likes 0 ·
attilavarg avatar image attilavarg Citrus Yan commented ·

Thanks for the info. I will keep the persistent worlds on EC2 and use Playfab for matchmaking.

0 Likes 0 ·
attilavarg avatar image attilavarg commented ·

May I ask for Fv2 cores in North Europe?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan attilavarg commented ·

How many cores do you need?

0 Likes 0 ·
attilavarg avatar image attilavarg Citrus Yan commented ·

I would like to ask for the maximum cores within the free tier, which I believe is 24 cores? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments
attilavarg avatar image
attilavarg answered

I would like to ask for the maximum cores within the free tier, which I believe is 24 cores? Thanks!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.