question

ryancoastek avatar image
ryancoastek asked

Lobby Server vs Main Game Server

Hello everyone, currently I am attempting to create a system where players can start a lobby and allow other players to connect to it. The lobby, however, will be a shooting range that will allow players to play around while they are queuing for a match. I was originally going to just have the founder of the lobby host a game on their own system and have other players connect directly to their server, but there are too many issues surrounding firewalls and NAT to make this a reality.

I was wondering if there is any way I can run two different server builds on one server instance in order to allow players to create a "lobby server" then allow them to join the "main game server" once a match as been found for the contents of the lobby. Thank you to anyone that can help me figure this out.

Custom Game Serversgame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

It depends on a few factors. If you don't have a high bar for preventing cheating, you could just use Photon Realtime (if your RPS rate fits in that model) or even their Bolt product or UNet to do peer-to-peer connections, since each of those also provides relay servers.

If you need server authority that prevents cheating, there's Photon Realtime private cloud (again, if you fit in that RPS model), or hosted game servers. In our case, you can only host one executable per server host machine right now, though you can run many instances of that build in the server host. The full write-up is here: https://api.playfab.com/docs/custom-game-servers.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ryancoastek avatar image ryancoastek commented ·

Thanks for the reply. I think I may just go with UNet peer to peer and deal with all of the NAT punchthrough issues to avoid paying a lot more for relay servers, then just connect to the PlayFab servers I have set up.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.