question

Sebastian Kranzinger avatar image
Sebastian Kranzinger asked

What happens if a Title in Development mode overdraws its meters?

Hi,

I have a two part question concerning the new pricing model:

1. What happens if I have a Title in Development mode which uses i. e. 21,000 content reads? Since I don't have a payment option set I can't be charged for the use - Will the title just get capped and the requests return an error?

2. We use Photon Networking for our game. Since GetPhotonAuthenticationToken counts towards Content & Configuration reads every login in our game increases that meter. With only one player account (which I just use for development and the occasional testing) we use just over 1,000 reads per month.

Now seeing that with the free tier, we only have 20,000 reads per month, does that mean that our title is pretty much capped at 20 players? With only 20 players we could never afford the standard plan. How would we go about this?

Our title ID is D30C.

Thanks in advance!

photonpricingContent
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sebastian Kranzinger avatar image Sebastian Kranzinger commented ·

I just saw that sending push notifications also causes the Content & Configuartion read meter to increase. With a 100k player limit, do you expect less than one fifth of players to get one notification per month? Either I totally understood the new pricing model wrong or something doesn't add up.

1 Like 1 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The included meters listed on the pricing page for Development Mode are not hard limits, though we are tracking on usage and may have to limit titles if they going way over them. We're still early in the adoption of the new pricing model, so we're being careful to observe how titles are using the service in that model, and adapt as best we can to that. In terms of usage and included meters vs costs, no, we don't make any assumptions about how much any one title is going to use a particular service. The point of the included meters is to give you an included amount of service usage that meets the needs of a range of titles, based on our tracking on usage by all titles to date. And as with Development Mode, again, those aren't hard limits - exceeding them just means paying for your usage, as shown in the overage pricing. How much you use would simply be down to your own evaluation of what costs are acceptable, based on your expected revenue.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sebastian Kranzinger avatar image Sebastian Kranzinger commented ·

Thanks for your response!

Do you have any recommendations about how to use this system with Photon? Since every login (GetPhotonAuthenticationToken) causes the meter to increment, there could be millions of Content & Configuration reads. This could result in very high costs, if we upgrade our account, and probably throttling, if we stay in Dev mode.

One option would be to completely ditch custom authentication and just allow any user to connect to photon, which could result in security risks.

Are there any better options?

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.