question

Tamas Szucs avatar image
Tamas Szucs asked

PlayFab Party p2p multiplayer in UE4

We are using playfab party as a voice communication solution, and it works great. We would like to support peer-to-peer multiplayer (beside our current dedicated server scenario), and we are exploring if it is possible using playfab party.

Unreal Engine 4 by default needs the port 7777 forwarded, and I'm wondering if PlayFab Party can handle the connection setup (NAT punchthrough etc) for this port. (And still have voice connectivity).

I can see there are packet messaging methods for playfab Party (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/networking/reference/classes/partylocalendpoint/methods/partylocalendpoint_sendmessage) , but we would rather not rewrite our logic to use this api entirely.

Thanks,

Tamas

unreal
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Hi, thanks for the feedback. In terms your concerns, I will try to contact the Party team to see if there is any support we can provide.

Besides, you may join the discussion in this thread if you are interested: https://community.playfab.com/questions/40739/unreal-online-session-managementplayfab-unreal-onl.html

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

According to feedback from the team, refer to p2p for Party, currently there is no plan on it because this feature is using a relayed model, where all communication is through a cloud-hosted service and NAT traversal is not required.

Please feel free to send a thread on the Feature Request forum and votes from developers may help with the priority.

In addition to the UE4 subsystems, PlayFab team have been working on a sample implementation, but there is no ETA we can share. For now, if you consider using it, there may be plenty of work to do. Please keep on track of updates on Blogs and News.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tamas Szucs avatar image Tamas Szucs Seth Du ♦ commented ·

thanks for the update!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.