question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

How can I tell if a player is new, across all my titles?

Since all the titles in my studio share the player accounts, how can I tell if a user is new to my studio when they sign into a game for the first time? That is, whether they've signed into any of my games before?

Account ManagementAuthenticationPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There are a couple of ways to do this, depending on your needs.

In code, you can read the player's account info via Client/GetAccountInfo or Server/GetUserAccountInfo and compare the UserAccountInfo.Created (the timestamp of when the account was created) to the UserAccountInfo.UserTitleInfo.Created (the timestamp of the first time the player signed into this specific game). If they're the same, you know that this is an entirely new player account for your games.

Meanwhile, in PlayStream, we have the "player_created" event, which tells you when a new account was created, and the "player_added_title" event, which tells you the first time a player signed into a specific title. You can use those in your analytics, to help evaluate player behavior.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

RGV avatar image
RGV answered
@Brendan

Sorry about dusting off an old one, but concerning the answer I miss something to know by code if player is new in any specific title — thus, regardless the player have played other games by the same company. Maybe trying to get a field from title data, so it's a new player if response proves that there isn't such a field?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.