question

John avatar image
John asked

What is safer, storing user data locally or on playfab server.

Hello. I am making a lan game where only the server is authenticated through playfab and the server authenticates players and receives data from them, through lan. The data will contain except for the game logic (movement, text, etc) will contain personal identifiable data.

1. Can I use playfab with the above concept or it is prohibited ?

2. Is there an alternative way to authenticated all, server and players and send only the personal data to the server through playfab?

2. Is it safer to encrypt data and store it on playfab or store it locally?

Player DataAuthenticationCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

>>1. Can I use playfab with the above concept or it is prohibited ?

So basically what you want is to use PlayFab to authenticate LAN servers, which seems fine to me. However, I noticed that you mentioned that these LAN servers also receive ( probably store as well, I assume ) PII (Personal Identifiable Information). If your game were to be published in some areas that entails General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or any other data protection regulations, you might need to add some logics to your server to allow players to view or deleted the data stored about them.

>>2. Is there an alternative way to authenticated all, server and players and send only the personal data to the server through playfab?

I believe it’s possible for you to authenticate both servers and players using PlayFab, however, about the latter part, I would suggest that you store players’ data under each player’s UserData(Player Data) or Entity , and, players themselves retrieve their own personal data from PlayFab and send them to corresponding LAN servers they are playing with, LAN servers are not responsible for storing personal data. Moreover, with the tools PlayFab offers, you can easily implement GDPR for your game:

PlayFab GDPR - Deleting and exporting player data

>>3. Is it safer to encrypt data and store it on playfab or store it locally?

I would suggest that you store it on PlayFab since it’s can be easier for you to access, manage those data, and, encryption surely is more safer.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

John avatar image John commented ·

"I would suggest that you store players’ data under each player’s UserData(Player Data) or Entity , and, players themselves retrieve their own personal data from PlayFab and send them to corresponding LAN servers they are playing with"

I want the host to retrieve the personal data with other data for local leaderboards.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan John commented ·

You can have the host call Server APIs to retrieve such data, for instance, you can have it call Server/GetUserData to retrieve the personal data (if you stored them in it). And, there are many other server APIs you can use to Update/Get players' data, please navigate to this link to learn about more: Player Data Management

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.