question

planetorigin avatar image
planetorigin asked

Inventory / Leaderboard refresh rare

I have two similar questions.

My game has 12 statistics that are shown to players, and each stat has 4 views (overall score, overall score centered around the player, weekly score, weekly score centered around the player). That's 48 total leaderboard stats that need to be requested. When players start the game, they typically want to see their score right away. Right now, during the initial loading of stats, I have a 5 second delay in between leaderboard requests. Is that enough of a delay? Can I set it lower? How often is too often?

My game also has a crafting system, and new characters can be obtained through a gacha system. Whenever a new character or item is added to the inventory, the whole inventory has to be fetched. Crafting/drawing characters doesn't happen that often, but when it does, a player might be able to create up to around 8 new items per minute, which means the full inventory would be fetched 8 times per minute. Is that too much? I have some special effects that play when an item is being created, which limits the potential request rate, but I'm still weary of overloading something.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

planetorigin avatar image planetorigin commented ·

The title is meant to be "refresh rate", not rare.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi @planetorigin,

>>Is that enough of a delay? Can I set it lower? How often is too often?

If you only loads the stats instead of updating them, it won’t affect the Leaderboard system, you can even request leaderboard right after stats loaded. However, if you updates the stat data, it’s a good idea to put in a delay of a second or two before querying the updated leaderboard.

>>which means the full inventory would be fetched 8 times per minute. Is that too much?

The request rate of 8 times per minute is not high, you don’t need to worry about overloading something. However, it’s recommended to interact with PlayFab only when needed. Based on your situation, I think you will only need to fetch full inventory once at the beginning of Crafting process. You keep that full inventory data in local clients, when the players create new items, add them to the local inventory respectively and show the updated inventory to the players. At the end of the crafting process, interact with PlayFab to reflect inventory changes. In this way, you will improve user experience since there is no need to update inventory every time when new items are created and wait for fetching data from PlayFab, it creates some kind of balance between clients and PlayFab backend.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.