question

Kit Christopher avatar image
Kit Christopher asked

Various Questions about Playfab

Hello,

I am seriously considering using Playfab, but I have a few critical questions that I must address first.

1. Can the cloud script access a website using graph ql? The game sends graph ql commands to craft items, but I don't want the client to have authority over this.

2.How many API calls does the free tier have?

3. Later in the game development, there will be daily challenges that reward the top players for finishing them. These challenges are procedurally generated. Is this possible in cloud script, and is it in the free tier?

4. A few items will be user generated, but these items are just technically just a json file containing the item ids of the pre-existing items that made it up. Should I implement this via a separate database, or will playfabs official UGC system be coming out soon, and if so, how much would it cost/is it on the free tier?

Sorry about this laundry list, and thanks very much!

apisIn-Game EconomyPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Marcus Nixon avatar image
Marcus Nixon answered

Hi Kit,

I have confirmed that we still do not have a date for when the user generated content system when be available for public preview. For your json data, if the data is only being used by a single player or a very small number of players, then you could save the data in the Player Data. If the json data will be shared with a large community, then user generated content is the best place for it.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Marcus Nixon avatar image
Marcus Nixon answered

Hi Kit,

1. Cloud script can only make Web API calls via HTTP requests.

2. All tiers have the same amount of API calls, however, there are features that are not available for use in the free tier such as multiplayer. You can take a look at the API here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/api-references/

3. Using cloud script to procedurally generate challenges would depend on the complexity of the challenge and what you are trying to accomplish. You do have cloud script available in the free tier to help with solving this problem.

4. User generated content is currently in private preview. I will check to see if we know when this will be available and verify if it the best solution for what you are trying to accomplish.

10 |1200

Kit Christopher avatar image
Kit Christopher answered

Thanks Marcus for the quick response! The game won't be coming out for a while yet, so it sounds like I could use the Player Data just locally for now to bide the time for UGC's release. Thanks for the suggestion.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.